Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door kick panel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hobbs, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Hobbs

Hobbs Registered Member

What is behind the "vent" on the front door of the kick panel in the door? I ask because I have put a 6x9 hole in front part of it only to find door lock/window machinery. When I look back through the hole I created, it looks like there is nothing behind the "vent." Trying to install 6x9 speakers if not already apparent. :laugh:

Thanks,

Hobbs

2. shoudabinacowboy

shoudabinacowboy Registered Member

I have 6x9's in the front part of my doors. There's nothing behind them that I've seen.

3. Hobbs

Hobbs Registered Member

I did not specify. 1988 suburban.

shoudabinacowboy--front part of the bottom of the door? I have been there today, and in my truck there is a big something. Power door lock or power window machinery.

What I have left is this "vent" that is on all four doors. Before I cut it out, I would like to know what is behind it. From the inside through the hole I made it does not seem like anything. But then, why the vent?

Thanks,
    Hobbs

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Pull off your door panel and stick your hand/arm down there and feel, there is NOTHING down there, the vent is actually only 1/2" thick.

5. Hobbs

Hobbs Registered Member

Thanks Muddytazz

Hobbs

6. shoudabinacowboy

shoudabinacowboy Registered Member

Yea mines a 78. No power anything so I guess that's why I've got some free space.

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

They are just pass thru vents for the cab. They Pass thru to outside through the vents on the back side of the door. under the latch. They have rubber flaps to prevent water/air from going the other way (in).
    '73-80 years they are part of the "pass thru ventilation" system where the blower motor never shuts off and the heater box has a giant hole on the top so air is constantly moving thru the cab. In 1981 they did away with this, and the vents just become decompression vents like any pickup cab has, to prevent windows (and any unfortunate person's eardrums inside the vehicle) from blowing out when you slam doors, etc.
    Of course, our trucks usally develop many other holes elsewhere in the body, and the need for the vents decreases with time. :laugh:

Thanks to dremu, ref. bottom of this page from the 1973 sales brochure http://brochures.slosh.com/1973/pickups6.jpg

8. Hobbs

Hobbs Registered Member

Thanks,
    Cut 2 6x9 holes in them this a.m. speakers going in. Worked perfect. Wish I would have asked before I put the first hole in the wrong place. :doah: No big deal.

Thanks all.

Hobbs