Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door latch problem...Update (at bottom): FIXED!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by heavy4x4, Jun 20, 2004.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

This morning I opened the rear side door on my 'burb. It opened like normal and I didn't hear anything pop, but it won't close. It seems like the spring in the striker (or something like that) busted because the latch moves freely and no longer grabs onto the striker bolt.

Anyone else have this happen to them and know what needs to be replaced, where I can get it, and how I do it?

Thanks.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Re: Door latch problem...

I seem to remember my doing that. I took it apart, fiddled with it, lubed it, put it back together ... and it worked.

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Mysterious things, door latches. On my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif I'm going without as soon as I can.

-- A

3. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i have the problem with my drivers side.
    if i lock the door with the power switch or push the button down, and slam the door, i cant unlock or open the door.
    i have to take the door panel off and flip the lever up on the inside to unlock it.

its fine if i lock it with the key.

4. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I've had a few mystery door problems also. Seems like if you take it apart, lube it up and clean all of the crap out it will be fixed. Some sort of magic trick I guess.

5. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

My '97 burban is starting to be hard to open on the front pass side. Could it be the hinges?

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Okay, 2 questions.

1) I got the door panel off, well, sort of. How do I disconnect the power window switch. There's a blue button on it that says "Off" with an arrow, and I swear I've turned it about 200 times without anything happening. Any trick to these?

2) How in the heck do I get the latch out? I see there are 3 phillips head screws holding it in from the side of the door, but do I have to tear the platic film off from the inside of the door and strip out the guts just to get to it?!?!

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My '97 burban is starting to be hard to open on the front pass side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if it's just hard to pull open, it's almost certainly the hinges. The hinges on my Dad's '97 burban get a good coat of white lithium grease often to keep things moving freely.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay, 2 questions.

1) I got the door panel off, well, sort of. How do I disconnect the power window switch. There's a blue button on it that says "Off" with an arrow, and I swear I've turned it about 200 times without anything happening. Any trick to these?

2) How in the heck do I get the latch out? I see there are 3 phillips head screws holding it in from the side of the door, but do I have to tear the platic film off from the inside of the door and strip out the guts just to get to it?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

TTT, I'd really like to get this fixed!

9. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

The blue button will pry off with a screw driver. It will stick a bit if it has never been off before, it is not threaded.

Pull that plastic sheet off and throw it away.

There is a rod that is held to the door latch with a clip inside the door for the lock and the door handles. These clips suck so bad to take off and reinstall correctly. You can do it though, get a flashlight.

Then the three phillips screws come out to release the latch. Have fun, this is one of those project which my father says "builds character". Once the latch is out pull on all of the levers and figure out why your door doesn't work right. This will take some time to fix, it did for me anyhow.

If I remember correctly it is easier if you back off the three phillips bolts so that you can move the latch a little bit to get the rods off.

-Chris

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Door latch problem...EDIT: New question at bottom

Update:

Got it fixed!
    I spent my afternoon tearing into the door and pulling out the latch assembly. As soon as I got it out, it started working properly. So, I cleaned it up, greased it, and put it back in.

First of all, thanks for the help.
    Secondly, I have this to say about GM engineers...
    1) The engineering team that thought up the door striker mechanism: shear genius
    2) The engineering team that thought up the door shell design: biggest A-holes in the world. Could they make that opening any smaller - my hands had WAY too much space to work. (sarcastic)
    Somebody shoot me if I ever design something so user non-friendly.

Thanks again for the help.

11. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Re: Door latch problem...EDIT: New question at bottom

Yes the shell design sucks. When I did my first door I was looking at it and trying to figure out what they had in mind when the designed. It wasn't designed for assembly of the latches for sure. I stopped at one point and was considering how to brace the door so I could cut the inner skin out and then weld it back in. I think that was pretty deep into the beer fridge though. I was pissed off and drunk.

-Chris