Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door law Q

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by K5Kell, Jun 20, 2004.

1. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

I tried looking in the washington laws but couldnt find what the regulations are on doors. I want to pop mine off for the summer and eventually put some tube doors on it but was curious what knid of laws if any I will be breaking. any links or knowledge would be appreciated.
    -Kell-

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

No laws or the jeeps would be gettin it all day long but I would put something across the bottom of the opening so nothing falls out.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

no links, but you dont need doors. You DO need a driver's side side mirror AND a lip on the floor that stops poop from rolling out. If ya wanna do it on the cheap, just put a piece of angle iron or aluminum in the same place your factory door sills are... its already set up to take screws etc.

j

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Been running no doors or side mirrors now for about 2 years. no problems as of yet. Although I do feel the need for a mirror.....

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

My understanding is that it is ok for jeeps because they are designed to run with no doors. At a minimum one would want to run a lip of some sort, otherwise you have to keep your truck pretty clean up front or else it will all fall out.

6. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Mirror requirements are one on the drivers door and one on either the passenger door or the windshield. When I bought my first K5, it didn't have any mirrors on it. I got pulled over twice on the way home - one "fix-it" ticket and one pissed cop because he couldn't give me a ticket for the same thing within 5 minutes of each other!

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It was a bit tough to find but up here, unless the vehicle came new without doors (Doors were optional on older Jeeps), the vehicle is required to have doors.

I inquired as to the exact definition of a door and got the run-around. Seems nobody wants to stick their neck out...but I was told my tube doors are 'gates' and not doors because they're open.

I'm gonna have some fabric made up that will incorporate a lip at the bottom so I can run them legally, then unsnap the fabric for wheeling.

Rene

8. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

sounds like I'm gonna get plenty of fresh air this summer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. thanks for the info and the motivation to get this happening.
    -Kell-