Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DOOR LIGHT SWITCH

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KENNY, Jul 16, 2001.

1. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

SMALL QUESTION, ON THE DRIVER'S DOOR THE SWITCH THAT TURNS THE LIGHT ON WHEN OPENED IS MISSING ON MY 84. HOW TO REPLACE IT, WHERE DOES IT GO. COLOR OF WIRE?

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

To replace it, you just have to plug it in (one wire), and thread it in the hole. For wire color, I don't have any clue, I've seen 3 different colors used between an 84, and 2 85's. You should be able to thread a stiff wire down in the switch hole and grab it, it's only a ground wire, so you don't have to worry about shorting anything.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

If memory serves me right, the wire color is white. There should be a rubber grommet on the kick panel that has one wire going through it. That is the one!

baldbandit

"Have you driven over a F@RD lately!!

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The color of the wire on my 84 is white. The hole where the switch threads in is about 2/3 of the way down in the front of the door jamb. Just like the guys mentioned above, get a piece of wire and bend a little hook at the end. If you fish around enough inside the hole you'll eventually get it.

The replacement switch from GM is slightly different than the stock switch(the old one was a one piece- the new one is a two piece). Hook the wire up and thread the switch in- Easy as pie!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

One hint- Before you thread the switch into place once the wire is hooked up, give the switch about 4 turns counter-clockwise. This allows the wire to spin back into the original position as you thread the switch in, which keeps stress off the wire and hopefully keeps it from stressing the crimp.

Good Luck!!

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</a>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I just did my 87 and it has two wires. live and ground. It made one hell of a spark when I tried getting it out through the hole. The 84 may be different but just wanted to tell ya I got 2 wires.
    Ben 87 jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

6. baldbandit

I have never seen one with two wires, but with that said, I believe it would be a good idea to disconect the ground on the battery to keep anything like this from happening. I always disconnect it when working on wiring were there maybe a chance of electric shock or arking out on anything. Never done it on door jam switches before though!

baldbandit

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Wire should be white, any extra wires could be for aftermarket or dealer installed alarm.

8. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I just replaced both of my switches on my 86 and found 2 wires on the drivers side and 1 on the passenger side. I also have an alarm installed on my truck but it goes off wih the dome light not the door switch.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

9. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

My 86 has two wires on the drivers side. Didn't check the passenger side, but I would think maybe the two wires on the drivers side has something to do with the buzzing/key in the ignition thing.

10. baldbandit

Ya'll are right! It's been awhile since i looked at these wires, so i decided to go check it out. I also have two wires on the drivers side and one on the passenger side.

baldbandit

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, thats the key in/buzzer wiring setup. One wire for that, the other for the interior lights.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen