Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door Lock is sticking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Marshall, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

when i went to my truck the other day i couldnt open the driver door. The lock was sticking. The only way I could open the door is by holding the door handle from the inside and pushing on the door open, while pulling up the door lock indicator. I have power locks and windows. I think it is the mechanism that goes around the stricker when the door is closed. If anyone has had this same problem or knows how to fix it please let me know how.

Thanks,Marshall /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

350/10Bolt/208/31"s

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Try pushing the button on the outside once or twice then turn the key, Thats how I unlock mine when it sticks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Last time mine did it it was because of 12 years worth of dirt in the old grease, Just take off the door panel and clean it all up and re-lube.

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Oh, you found this feature of K5s as well? Just hit the button on the outside. Just wait till you lock it from the inside with you on the inside. You have to roll the window down to unlock it...and think about nice rain and snow storms to do this in!!

4. Stickseler

And with power windows and a steering wheel lock collar its a PITA when the collar is on already /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. OFFRDK5

Would you just happen to have a pic of this setup? Just wondering how a steering lock can affect doors unlocking!!

6. Stickseler

Because the key has to be on to roll down power windows...and the collar covers the cylinder when its on /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    [​IMG]
    And I really need to put my new dash pad on
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. OFFRDK5

Hrm, interesting. How does one of them collar things work? What's it made out of?

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Been there, locked the door while driving, power windows froze up (I have all the new switches, felts and motors just haven't fixed them yet). The power door lock relay is fried so I had to crawl out the back window in a department store parking lot. I got a stange look from a old couple, so I told them it was my new security system /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Punched the button on the handle a few times on both doors and I was good to go! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I think they all do that...last weekend i was out with a girl and my door got stuck so i started unlocking and locking it real fast to get it unstuck, and then hers got stuck too, we had to climb in through the back...probably should fix that soon.