Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door not closing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Oct 30, 2000.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody. I've got ?s already about my new 74.

There is a lot (well I guess usual amount) of rust underneath. Especially the rocker panels. Someone even riveted a piece of tin onto what was left of the rocker panel [​IMG] .

After I took the top off, the drivers side door didn't shut. It didn't shut easily with the top on, but now it really won't shut at all. When open, it's not sitting level. It rubs against the door frame at the bottom. And when I grab the bottom of the door and pull up, it seems the whole front quarter of the truck body comes up a little bit.

Is there bad rust damage up above the rocker panel that I can't see (yet, I am taking off the tin ASAP)? I unbolted the door so it wouldn't pull down in the truck and cause anymore damage, but I would like to fix whatever it is before I put the door back on. Should I keep the top on to stop the body from twisting around?

Just thought I would get some opinions. Thanks as always everyone!

<font color=blue>I don't get stuck, I'm just in the mud when I stop for lunch [​IMG]
    - NJFourWheelers</font color=blue>

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Are your body mounts rusted out?

New 4x4 driver: "A lot of money in that truck, eh?"
    Me: "Oh, about 1/4 of a new one"

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I would keep the top on. I think that maybe your panel has far more rust than you can see. The body mount maybe rusted/broken of, the bolt that connects to the body is gone, or area that is around the bolt is rusted thru.. There is a lot that can be wrong at this point. Try to see how far the rust goes on the panel, end to end. And if it continues toward the center of the cab section. Check and see if your missing some body mounts. Can you tork the body if you push on the other side of the vehicle? YOu can get replacement panels and mount from LMC, JC Whitney, Cheyenne Pickup parts. Dont lose hope in a resto. it just takes time and $$$$$. Hope this helps.

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I don't know about the body mounts off-hand, but that is just the type of info I was looking for. I will check them ASAP. And I think I am gonna order some resto parts from JCW soon too.

<font color=blue>I don't get stuck, I'm just in the mud when I stop for lunch [​IMG]
    - NJFourWheelers</font color=blue>

5. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my 75.It was due to the front cab supports being rusted away.I would recomend that you put your top back on and make sure everything is aligned properly. Befor you weld the new rockers on make sure the bodylines for the doors to the front fenders has the proper gaps. If you have a little larger gap at the bottom of the door and fender you may have to get 2 floor jacks and jack the truck up a littl at the front cab support bolts. When the supports rust away the cab seemes to sag in the center alittle. I also plan to cut away the boxes that cover the front cab supports and run the length of the rockers, and resupport the cab with 2x2 box channel to tie everything in nice and tight again. Hope this helps you avoid some of the trouble i had when doing mine!

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Look at the link to my site in my signature. There are some tasty pics of what your cab suport looks like. Get under the truck and check the rocker box. I think your going to find that the inside rail of the box up next to the frame is rusted out also.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/