Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door opener-holder-tensioner thingy.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Or whatever the heck it's called........it's the little curved steel bar in the hinge assembly that holds your door open. Looks like it locks in place between two rolling cogs when the door is open. Mine broke on the driver's side the other day. It's REALLY not a big deal to me, but mama said next time she's getting out of the truck and the door closes on her leg, I'M TOAST!!!!![​IMG]

She even did the eyebrow thing when she told me, so I'm getting kind of worried.....What's the piece called and how do I replace it?

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I dunno but mines busted on the passenger side and my wife kinda told me the same thing.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I was just browsing the LMC catalog and it looks like it's not a separate part but part of the upper door hinge assembly. They sell the upper hinge assembly for $19.95. pn# 38-6514

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

DOH!!!!! So what's involved with swapping out a hinge assembly? I'm pretty sure I remember someone saying that the front fender has to come off to access some of the bolts. Gee whiz, that wife of mine......GRRRRR!!!!!!

Maybe I'll tell her that I'll fix the hinge if SHE takes the fender off for me......[​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Fender removal...plus there is one bolt holding the upper hinge that has to be accessed from inside the truck. You'll see it when you look, there are 2 bolts that can be undone from the outside and there is one coming in from the opposite direction. There is a small access hole kinda under the dash that a deep socket will fit through to get the last bolt.

If you remove the fender first it should be straight forward to replace the upper hinge. I would remove the bolt that has to undone from inside first then close the door, scribe the door edge around the hinge, scribe around the other half of the hinge on the cowl, then remove and replace. As long as the lower hinge is left untouched any adjustments later will be small. For marking around the hinge...I've used ballpoint pen. It doesn't damage the paint. Of course my truck is/was white...

Oh yeah...don't forget to have fun![​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>