Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door Panels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, May 13, 2004.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Anyone have any tips for removing a set of door panels? I have all the screws and stuff out nut the top portion around the window sash. Cant seem to get that focker off. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Tempted to just break out the gringer /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif and say bye bye to them all together.

2. cdh

cdh Registered Member

I don't know about a '79 but my '89 has 5 or 6 metal clips on the top of the door panel (attached to the weatherstrip). Get the palm of your hand and push forward on the top of the door panel, take your other hand on the bottom of the door panel and push up. Sometimes they come off easy, sometimes it's a real pain.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Did ya get the screws in the armrest? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's a real bitch sometimes. Just keep pushing it up from the bottom and that sucka will eventually pop off.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

be sure you unscrew the lockknob least on mine it wont fit over. Also Ive found it easier if the window is down. Then once all screws are out pull the bottom of the panel out towards you and stick your arm up from behind the panel. Push up and out (through the window direction) on the top part of the panel, where it clips into the door. I usually start at the back and work forward as my rear clips seem to pop off easier. You may need to use your other arm and kind of rock that top part back and forth, it will pop off eventually, like I said, I work from one end to the other.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

On both a '90 and '87 model you have take off the screws for the armrest (they are down inside the little pocket on them), remove the trim piece around the interior door handle, and unscrew the door lock knob. After all of the bolts are off pop out the retainers that run along each side and then pop out the retainers that run along the window channel (helps to have the window down).

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

As others have mentioned, there are clips that are just under the weatherstripping at the top of the panel. Just give it a good solid pop with the palm of your hand and they should pop off. Once you get the panel off just remove these clips with a pair of pliers so you don't have this trouble again. The screws are enough to keep it in place without moving or rattling. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif