Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

door panels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Apr 11, 2001.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

does anyone know the difference in size between the door panels on a 78 and the door panels on an 81-91? i want to replace my 78 panels with the new ones. they look better to me. will they still fit the same and everything ? the dash pad looks to be very similar between 78 and an 81-91. has anyone tried this. i really dont like the look of the 78 panels. any modifications that made them look better? let me know, i am very interested. thanks.

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'm not positive but I think there is a difference in sizes from your year to the others. Not sure how though (like in width or height?). I remember seeing panels in a catalog for sale and the ones that would fit you go from 77-80? I think that is right? Then the other panels fit from 81-87 and another style for 88-91? So I do think they won't fit unless you can do something creative and make them fit like trim them or something? Hope this helps you out?

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    "What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?"

3. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i put newer door panels on my 78 and they fit. but i did have to change the inner door handle. they are smaller and thinner on the newer trucks (got 'em from the junkyard). i got the panels from coverlay.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

4. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

does coverlay have a website? how much for the set? do they offer panels that are more customized than just the basic one color plastic? i would appreciate it if you let me know. thanks.
    zach

5. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

coverlay.com, i think that is the website.....hold on let me try.......no, it is "coverlaymfg.com". if i remember correctly they aere $189 for the pair. good quality. great fit.
    they only sell replacments. they look very close to the original and they include the arm rests.
    I know that harmons automotive sell custom made door panels, but they are not cheap, i think $400+.
    hope that helps.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I swapped door panels also. I also had to change the inner handles. I just put a newer dash in. it fit but, the tabs the slide in under the windsheild are different. I had to remove a couple to get it in and there is no place to put the screw that goes in the side on the passengers side.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!