Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

door panels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dpearson, Jun 19, 2000.

1. dpearson

dpearson Registered Member

Has anyone painted their door panels and is there anything that will really adhere???

2. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I painted all of the plastic trim (pillars etc.. ) With reqular spray paint and it looks great, hasnt come off or anything.. It should work on your door panels good luck..

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

3. dpearson

I painted them with "plastic" spray paint and after a year or so they started flaking, I was hoping someone has used something like por-15 or equivalent to completely dunk them in.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

5. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I paintedmine with Flexstone, that gave it a textured finish and it hasn't flaked at all. That was about 6 years ago.

6. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

I haven't done the door panels, but I have done all of the other plastic around the cab to match the grey tweed. I used interior paint. It works pretty well, But I'm not sure how it would work on areas that get touched or used a lot

7. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

I painted my dash and door panels with interior paint from Autozone and it has held up fine.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I agree with BlazerGuy. I think dye would be the best for door panels. Ask a car stereo shop in your area about what type of dye would be best because most of those shops carry the Q-logic kickpanels that are made to be dyed. Door panels are made out of the same material.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

9. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Interior paint or dye as it is also called should work fine.Have bought it at auto zone and pepboys. The most important thing is surface prep,must be very clean. There is also a product out to spray on plastic parts to make it stick better. You can get all of this stuff at eastwood.com. They sell restoration supplies and tools.

10. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

You can have automotive paint shops mix it for you it is a special paint for plastics and they color match from the original codes.

11. dpearson

That sounds like the best approach, I suppose it is similar to the paint on the plastic bumpers. Thanks for the suggestions!!

12. Can I get a redo on that link? As much as I would like to visit the Tourist house that is at that link, I would still like to see some restoration supplies. Just playing. Thanks though.