Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door Panels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jburd, Feb 28, 2003.

1. jburd

jburd Registered Member

Can any one tell me how to remove the door panels without breaking them ? I want to take them off in order to redo the interior and then reinstall them.

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You need to remove the window handle - there is a u shaped clip that needs to be removed first. There is a special tool that can be used, but I use a pick.
    You need to remove the arm rest - it is screwed on. Then the trim screws need to re removed - there's about 7 of 8 of them IIRC.
    I think that's pretty much it.
    Correct me if I've forgotten a step...
    -- Mike

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

you also have to remove the pull strap, they have the little chrome covers over the end, pop them off, then take out the two screws underneath.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

The door panel itself is retained with push in plugs... I think you need a special tool to remove them the correct way. Usually a careful tug will pull them loose. No gaurantees on this. Sometimes you may have to replace them depending on how well they come loose. Don't forget to pull the lock knob and then lock the door.

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The door panel itself is retained with push in plugs

[/ QUOTE ]

My 86 wasnt- I took my door panels off when I swapped the doors- all of my screws went into the U-clips...no plugs. That was the hardest part with putting mine back on- getting the u-clips to line up with the holes in the panel....You have to take off the door handle bezel as well.....

it's actually "harder" to get them back on than it is to get them off.

Brandy

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

it's actually "harder" to get them back on than it is to get them off.

[/ QUOTE ]
    u got that right

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think all of the '81-ups used 3(?) plugs to help hold the door panel in place. More likely they were used to keep the panels from rattling as much.

Next time you pull your panels, look for the slots that are cast into the backside...the plugs are setup to "spin" into those slots.

Doesn't really make much difference overall, except if you leave a screw in place and think its one of those plugs /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. jburd

jburd Registered Member

Thanks to everyone. I'll give her a try this weekend.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

no matter how ya work it those panels are a PITA to remove and install. I'm gonna make be a set of super-simple replacements out of some sheet aluminum before long. It'd be soooo nice to be able to a) remove and reinstall the panels EASILY and with normal tools and b) have easy access to all the door's guts...

j

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dunno about the power guys, but besides removing a few screws, the stock door panels are a 10 minute job.

Pull the screws, pop the panel free of the door via the plastic "studs", pull the bottom edge of the panel out a bit, and smack it upwards until the window channel releases.