Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

door question on 75 blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by terrier72, Mar 17, 2005.

1. terrier72

terrier72 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anyone out there has had any problem with the tops of the doors not lining up with windshield pillars after having their hardtops off for a while? I dont have a full roll cage and was just wondering if this was a problem that anyone else might be having? I have a friend who says if i weld some supports from the top of hte factory rollbar to the windshield metal this might take care of my problem, what do you all think. Or do those without a rollcage and a full hardtop have not yet experienced this problem.

Thanks

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

It sounds like your rocker boxes have rotted away. The only thing that was keeping your windshield/firewall in place was the top, so when you took that off it sagged forward. The best thing to do is fab up some new rocker boxes and weld them in place, once you get the body lined back up of course.

3. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm not so sure the rocker boxes are the only potential cause. My truck did the same thing but it is a zero rust Texas truck. If the rockers were the cause, you'd likely see an issue with the door gaps as you look up and down the edge of the doors. On my truck after cleaning and reinstalling the body during the resto, I was able to adjust the door gaps by shimming the body mounts (like is done at the factory). The upper door frame still contacted the windshield frame. I really noticed it after I had my windshield replaced. I wonder how strong the windsheild frame is without the glass in there. Perhaps just years of no support for the frame causes it to sag a bit.