Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

door removal laws

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jun 18, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Me and my girlfriend are having an argument. She thinks I'm gonna get in trouble with the law if I drive around with no doors, but I see Jeeps do it all the time. As long as I rig up some rearview mirrors and buckle up, I should be legal with no doors, right?
    I dunno if the laws vary from state to state or not, but I'm in Georgia.

thanks,
    James

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, to find out for certain, I'd go looking for the GA vehicle code. I found the California one on our Motor Vehicles website, but it differs from state to state. (NB: I can't find squat on yours ... is it DMVS? DPS? PQFP? ZDYNGK? aaaargh!)

Here, there is no specific answer. We are not allowed to modify the vehicle's body, which I presume means no half doors =)) We are of course required to have a driver's side mirror, and they'd like for us to have a center one.

Jeeps are unusual in that they came from the factory with no/half/cloth/etc doors, and anything that came from the factory is grandfathered in. (I don't know how they'd treat the bobtail Broncos and Scouts with the half/no door options!)

In short, my experience is that as long as you meet the basics and don't drive like an idiot, Johnny Law won't care. If your lights are in good order, you're wearing your belt, and don't speed / squeal tires / act like an ass, they won't tag you for the doors. Face it, it would take them a while to find the relevant section of the vehicle code to ticket you :D

This has been my experience with my '74 K5 with half-doors -- no top, full-cage, etc -- driving right past various law officers, in CA. (The old girl doesn't go fast enough to cause any trouble!)

I did get pulled over recently in my sixpack for having no shoulderbelt, but I demonstrated that it was a '74 and has only lap belts (which I was of course using), so the guy scowled at me and sent me home.

And of course, driving without belts is suicide, regardless of the law :deal:

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My understanding is that Jeeps are allowed to do it because they have the low sidewall at the bottom to keep things from falling out... Your rig doesn't... I know I'd be pissed when your maglight rolled out, bounced and hit my windshield...

check your local laws....

4. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I can only answer this as a retired Ohio police officer. It is based on how the vehicle was manufactured. The JEEP is designed from factory with the lower lip area where it keeps things in the floor. The keyword is FACTORY PRODUCED if the vehicle is manufactured it must meet NTSB standards.

In Ohio if you build a vehicle you have to go to the OHIO State patrol and have it inspected to be safe and get a title. Personally speaking if I would of saw a truck with no doors I would site it for unsafe and tow it. Now if it would of had half doors (wouldn't ticket) I think I would be asking our DMV for guidance.

When you doubt check it out! Call your DMV ask about out of state inspections (Thinking about buying a car in another state) then throw in it has been modified and ask about doors. This would get you information also if they tell you it is OK get the persons name and try to get it in writing that you were told such n such.

C.Y.A.
    Good luck

5. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

As long as you have mirror's, seat belts and lip on rocker top to keep stuff inside. Don't see any ticket problem.:D I know I will be doing mine soon. If I get pulled I'll let lawyer handle. Have you thought about tube doors maybe. Just my 2 cents.:D

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

yeah, I may build some tube doors at my cousin's metal shop this summer, but I'm enjoying no doors so much that I would really love to cruise around without any doors at all. I think most of georgia's laws are kinda sketchy :crazy: