Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door Removal ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jonathan, May 25, 2001.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

Door Removal ?\'s

Thinking of removing my doors this summer but have some Questions first:

How much do they weigh?(Want to be sure I can line them back on with out a problem.)

Thinking of making Tube doors out of 1 1/2"-2" pipe, anyone done this before?

Can I hang the doors by the window frames of will this screw them up?

Thanks for any help.

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Re: Door Removal ?\'s

complete, the doors must weigh a little over 50#. I just roll down the window and rest it on my shoulder. I wouldn't hang it by the frame. I just set them down on the bottom and lean them agianst the wall.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

3. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I took my doors off just to see what it'd look like. Let me tell you, sitting up that high with no doors is really SCARY! So the doors went back on, and I'm sticking to the no top thing. They aren't that heavy, but I had to have a friend hold it up while I bolted up. I just set them on the ground.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

4. Cliffy

Cliffy Registered Member

On the other hand (and I don't know if BLzr4x4ngkid does or not) of you have a cage and put some bars angled down from your rear loop to the bottom front corner of the door frame, making sure that the bar passes by your hips above the level of the seat top, this may ease wories of falling out while wheeling or just driving. Also of you do make a tube door that pretty much replaces the REAL door you could make it curve down about 6-8" from the origional door height to give you a good view of the trail (besides the fact that you'd be able to see betwen the bars) and if it's low enough you could climb over and jump out easy enough. If you really GOOD though you could make this "roll bar door" open and close like your REAL door.

Thanks for reading my book:D Take care.

Coil sprung 71 blazer.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If you take them off and put them on by yourself, you can use a jack to hold it up.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>

6. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

Could I hang them by the frame just long enough to line them up. Was thinking I could use stock henges so they open and close, but don't no what to use for a latch.