Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazinaire, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I am kicking around the idea of removing my doors for Blazer Bash and was wondering what the best method is? I was thinking that I could just pull the pins (or is it not that simple?). Or maybe trace around the hinge with a marker and then unbolt the door (leave the hinge on the truck) and use the marks left on the door to realign it. Also what about the wiring for my power windows and door locks? Do I cut the wires and reattach them with some male/female type connectors, or did the factory use some kind of harness that is hidden from view?

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Removing the pins could be difficult, It too several wacks from a 3 pound sledge with the hinge in a vice to get mine out. But once they are out, making them so they slide in and out easily isn't too hard, just knock off the little weld at the bottom of the hole and mabey slightly round out the holes. Although they might be too loose then, I've never tried it.
    Instead of tracing, I've taken a can a spray paint and sprayed around them leaving you with a nice outline. You want it to be exact too, those doors are a biiitch to get back on aliged properly...
    As far as the wiring goes, there is no easy choice. I haven't done it, but the nicest thing I've seen is those pin contacts (a lot of stereo shops sell them) They come in 2,3,4,6,8 pin configurations..the only problem with those is the wiring is diconnected with door open, so if you like to leave your door open and operatre your accessories or listen to your stereo if you have door speakers..yor SOL..

BlazerMan

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Here is how I dealt with the acc. in the doors. [​IMG]

And as far as the pins, I just scratched a line around the hingde at the door and took the door off. Then i ground down the lip on the pins and tapped them out. I didn't want to pound on them too hard as I was afraid I would bend or damage the hindges and then they wouldn't align correctly.

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

The pins will not come out with the hinge bolted to the door. You would be best off to mark the location of the hinge and then unbolt at the fire wall. The bolt that runs from the outside in are accessed through the gromet for the overhead light switch. On the passenger side you will have to remove the glove box.