Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio' started by istallion88k5, Oct 26, 2000.

1. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Ok, on a 88 k5 with power windows, or one with similar power window setup, can you get a speaker into the front part of the door, i.e. lower front corner, if so how big, I took the bottom panel off once to see and didn't have a hex wrench to take the top part off to feel around on the inside but tapping the metal sounded like there was something there, I know the power window support/frame is a little back but is it back enough to get a good speaker in there i.e. 6.5", since I have a new pair of 3 way 6.5's sitting in the garage.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

2. 91KJIMMY

91KJIMMY Registered Member

The power window motor and the lower section of the PW track runs along the lower part of the door so the answer would have to be no. If you are looking for a place to mount speakers up front you should look at crutchfield.com they have new color matched kick panels that will fit 5 1/4's but I don't think they have anything bigger than that.

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

4. istallion88k5

How easy is it to color those DBLAZER? I have Brown/Beige interior. I am most interested though, better than 200 bucks for qlogic kick panels.

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

They are Qlogic, I reinforced them with fiberglass, and they are red. I dont know how hardit would be to color them, I intended to just have them Coated when I had the bed done. But I didnt. Let me know. HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

6. istallion88k5

Ok, cool I have no idea either on what to use to color them, but I am sure I will find out, I will prob get your info on Monday and send you a MO or something, I gotta see how deep into my pockets my front end suspension, steering stuff goes this weekend.

7. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Its ok, I have had them for a while, I had every intention of using them, I just changed my mind and I am using the ones I built myself!!!

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

8. istallion88k5

I will have to hit ya up next week for them, my #(*#@%(*# Hifonics amp for my subs died, two rf 12"'s in parallel to a Zeus XI series amp, one sub blew then after a few minutes the amp shut off, no protection mode came on, and now no output on either sub channel so now I have to get another one or see how much it is to fix this one.

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

In my 87 with power windows, the previous owner cut holes for 5 1/4" speakers. The hole is VERY close to the front edge of the door, so close that the speaker grilles almost go over the edge of the trim panel. The framing for the power window is right there, along with an internal brace of some sort in the front corners. A 6 1/2" wouldn't fit. My cheapo Pioneers barely fit past the window framing. Hope this helps...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

10. cp87jimmy

cp87jimmy Registered Member

Hey "D" do you still have the kick panels available? I'm very interested. I'm also in Dallas, Frisco to be exact. I need these for my componets.
    Thanks, Chris

GO STARS !!!!!

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Hey DBLAZER,

I sent you a private about this but if you still have those kicks or can get some more I desperately need them. I know it is a long shot but it was worth a try.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

12. bangin_my_k5

bangin_my_k5 Registered Member

this is costly but i'll tell you what i did. I had all new door panels,kick panels, and rear tub panels, made of aluminum then covered in grey vinyl. anyway i adjusted where the power window and power lock switches wen't and made the aluminum come out and make a cavity for the 6 1/2's i wanted to keep them as high and dry as possible. i'll try to get some pictures. oh i also had to put dyno mat behind the aluminum to make it sound better. I think i spent $300 total without speakers.

break em if you can

13. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

go to my site and check out the q form kickouts. these things rock and super easy to install.

www.bigblue.coloradok5.com

baja surf nazi

14. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. Bangin if you could get me some pictures of those panels. I was thinking of doing a custom panel with some kind of tweeter mount for some additional highs.

Bigblue thanks for the link.
    I am still not sure what I want to do.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

15. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Hey Big Blue did you have to relocate the parking brake or anything else for the Q-Forms to fit? Did you have to go with 5.25"s?

16. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

all i had to do was unbolt the parking brake release - put the Q form in and then bolt the brake realease back on over the panel. the panel comes with holes predrilled. it was a piece of cake to do and it sounds unbelievable. it was my first sterea/speaker install and it sounds like i was a pro audiophile!

baja surf nazi -...A late storm NEVER comes...

[​IMG]

17. herauf

herauf Registered Member

on my 87 blazer i have power, and rather than pay the price for the qforms. i had 6 1/2s installed in the kick panel in front of the door. it was a simple drill and drop wire operation. the speakers are in solid, it was cheaper and looks better than the qforms...

18. californiastereo

californiastereo Registered Member

Yeah you can cut the door for the speakers, BUT you have to cut behind the motors.... NOT IN FRONT.... This will be your worse nightmare.... Some of the strongest metal you have ever dealt with.... The holes are not the best since they start at about the same spot as the seat..... Kick panels are the best are available in any color. I sell them for $175 set, brand new, and they are for a seperate 5.25 and tweeter.....

californiastereo@cs.com