Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Big Red, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

Ok, heres the deal, i bought Alppine SPS_170A's a little while agoi (the 6-1/2 2-ways) I wanna put them in the dorrs of my 87 blazer, but i have both power locks and windows. this is a problem as i can't see a way to safely cut a hole and mount the speakers so the magnets dun magnatize the whole door, scrape/rub, etc. on the moving parts. Any help would be very greatly appreciated as no stereo system sucks. thanks guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Keep the speakers in the lower front part of the door below the vent window. That's typically the most "open" spot because the glass above it doesn't roll down.

Then pull out the map pocket (or pull the door panel) and take a few measurements for mounting depth in that area. You want to determine how far "in" you can go before you hit anything inside the door....once you have that "magic" number, compare it to the mounting depth of the speaker you want to install.

The difference between the two numbers (if there is a difference) will be the size of the spacer ring you'll need to build to put between the speaker frame and the door.

That's the simplest way.

Or you can figure out how to modify the door to relocate whatever is in the way of the magnet, and then mount the speaker flush.

Definitely use a little "dynamat" type stuff on the outer doorskin and inner door while you have everything apart. It will help to seal up the area and stop any rattles before they start.

3. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

You can do as Greg72 suggested or you can do like I did and build a speaker pod that mounts to your door and put the speakers in them..PM me and I'll send you some pics. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. DOCKAWI650

DOCKAWI650 Registered Member

i have 6 1/2 speakers mounted right behind the drivers seat past the door and they sound great.