Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door strike question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Mar 6, 2003.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I want to take of the door strike to replace the plastic roller bushing( no idea what it's really called) that helps the door lock close. If I take of the door strike will the nut on the back fall down? Do I need to get to it from the inside?

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If I take of the door strike will the nut on the back fall down

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! It's not really a nut, it's a threaded piece of steel about 2" square.

[ QUOTE ]
    Do I need to get to it from the inside

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. But it's pretty easy. Just remove the trim piece and you should be able to get at it.

3. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

I replaced both of the door strikes on my '85...simply unscrewed the ones that were on it and put on the new ones. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Nothing fell down, didn't have to take off any trim, no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Got my doorstrikes at Pep Boys. I had to buy a torx 50 for them though.

4. lt61173

lt61173 1/2 ton status

The square nuts are built into a box like the nuts for the cap so they should not fall unless the box is broke like mine.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Here's a cheap alternative to replacing the plastic piece on the door striker:

Take a roll of electrical tape and give the striker about 5-7 wraps of tape where the plastic piece normally sits. The doors on my 84 never seemed to close properly in the last few years. The tape trick solved my problem.

The bonus is when the latch mechanism wears the tape down too much, you remove the old tape and throw a few fresh wraps on.

Gotta love cheap fixes!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bajaviking

I tried that but after a couple of years I am kind of tired of putting tape on every 3 months. Besides the plastic rollers whatevertheyarecalled are only a couple of dollars.

7. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Besides the plastic rollers whatevertheyarecalled are only a couple of dollars

[/ QUOTE ]

i GOT MINE FOR $.67ea. Best $1.34 ever spent. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. MILOLGJC

MILOLGJC Registered Member

Where did u find the plastic roller. I can only find Ford rollers at Napa, PEP boys etc. Bought that one and rotored out the interior size to fit.. Short term solution though.

9. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

The plastic piece you are talking about is called a silencer. I have replaced them on ever truck I've had. I bought mine at the local Chevy dealer for about 50-60 cents each. Before you remove the stiker bolt, I would suggest making a mark on the door jam where it's at now so you can line it back up exactly where it was when you go to reinstall the striker bolt.

10. bajaviking

Just fixed mine this week-end, a couple of dollars and 30 minutes of work. The doors close real nice and tight now.
    By the way, to answer my own question the door strike did not fall down on the back. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif