Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door torque spring/rod? Anyone replace

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fireinthehole, Jul 30, 2003.

Just got this Sub last Sunday and the passenger door wont stay open. Couldnt figure it out, so I started comparing it with the drivers door and found that the torque rod (what the parts guy called it) was broke. Its shaped like an "S" I think. Anyway, has anyone ever replaced it? I ordered one, but was wondering how to fix it. Any ideas?

Mat

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Just got this Sub last Sunday and the passenger door wont stay open. Couldnt figure it out, so I started comparing it with the drivers door and found that the torque rod (what the parts guy called it) was broke. Its shaped like an "S" I think. Anyway, has anyone ever replaced it? I ordered one, but was wondering how to fix it. Any ideas?

Mat

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't done it, but I know they sell a special tool to use when replacing it. Must be a PITA with standard tools. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif LMC sells the tool if you can't find it locally.

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    I had one break on me...Just get one from a junkyard. The only tools nessacery to install it were a hammer and a small crowbar. Place in into position....with one end of the "s" in it's spot. Then use the crowbar to push the spring loaded part in and hit it wil a hammer into position.
    2 minutes tops...

Blake

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

What he said, i've had to do the same thing, and used the same method, works excellent /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

its one of those bottom of "toolbox" discounts at the pick a part...if you know what i mean /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

It's such a cheap part, why buy it from a junk yard? Anyways, it's a 2 minute job w/ hand tools, if you can change a spark plug, you'll be fine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif