Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

door troubles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ringer, Jul 17, 2004.

1. ringer

ringer Registered Member

Sorry for the cross post.

My driver side door has recently developed a little bit of sag. It is not much, but it is enough that I have to slam it pretty hard to get it to close and it is coming awfully close to the front fender when opened.

Is the repair a matter of replacing the "pins" in the hinges ?

Has anyone done this?

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Should be as easy as re adjusting the hinge bolts. When you open the door look at the hinges and see if the bolts have moved from the original position. There should be marks from the factory paint. I took my doors off a few months back and when I put them back on i had the same prob. Just loosen them and have someone hold it in the correct position while you tighten them back down. Should work for you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

If your door pins and bushings are worn, tehn there should be some play in the door. To determine if the binges/bushings are worn out, open the door, grab the bottom of the door and see if you can lift it up and down. If there is play, then your hinges and bushings need replaced. Do yourself a favor and buy the kit from teh dealer. I went the cheap way first and had 2 of the 4 "new" pins from NAPA break on me in less than a couple months. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I spent more on the NAPA stuff than if I had just gone to the dealer first /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

thats weird shane, my napa pins are still good to go... I just removed my doors again a few days back, and they came out without a hitch. I dunno, maybe I just got lucky. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

j

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

sorry not to hijack but how would one go about replacing the pins?

6. oilburner

oilburner Registered Member

I did this several years ago with my K5 - you are better off doing it right, ONCE. I fooled with it and wound up having to have the striker pin and a section of the doorjamb replaced due to metal fatigue. Go to the dealer and buy replacement hinge assemblys. It is really the best way to go.
    OILBURNER/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

sounds like it's time to replace the pins. I have used napa's kits, never had one break. BUT this could be the PERFECT time to modify those hinges so you can be "cool" and run doorless!!
    [​IMG]
    only took some new bushing's(from napa) and some 3/8s rod from my local hardware store.
    [​IMG]
    I love to show these pics!!!