Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door weatherstripping woes part II ... with pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dbozman, Mar 6, 2007.

1. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

OK, trying to redo all the weatherstripping on my '74. Spent a ton of money on this crap and very little of it fits right. Biggest offender was the window/door weatherstripping that mounts in the channel on the hardtop (the one that the door windows roll up into when the top is mounted). Originally purchased from LMC. Stuff does not fit; it's about 1.5 inches too long.

Based on reading on here, I call Chevy Duty and speak to a tech guy. He assures me their product is different and better, so I order. Sure enough, packaging is different and product "looks" a little nicer. However, again, it's too long. Here are a couple photos illustrating what I mean. This isn't a trim-to-fit part. Both end pieces are screwed into the top and the stripping in the middle should be the same length as the channel in the top:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is twice, with two different vendors. Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible that someone grafted a first-gen top onto my '74 (don't think so, but I'm grasping at straws here). Any help appreciated.

Before you say just cut it to fit, that's what I did with the first ones and it's totally hack. Thanks.
    d

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got mine from LMC and it was right. Don't know if anything changed or not. I don't see it as a big deal to cut it down on the end there. Make sure you glue it in. Mine has a pops out of the channel alot and I am too lazy to sit there and hold it while the glue drys

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Any chance GM still sells this stuff?

highly unlikely, but still a possibility. You've called both companies and told them the issue, right?

4. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

Yep, called both. LMC was kind enough to refund my money even though I'd already cut their pieces up. I've sent photos and talked to a tech at Chevy Duty; awaiting a reply.

Yes, you can cobble it together by cutting; seems pretty half-ass to me, though.

5. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

If you want decent weather stripping, order it from somplace like soffseal or steel rubber

6. dyeager535

Yes, it is. Don't understand why people insist on trying "cheap". Even if GM sold the part at double the price, wouldn't it be worth the cost to get a piece that fits?

I HAVE heard good things about soffseal, you might try them. I'd still call GM on the off-chance it's still sold.

Maybe we'll get lucky and some day our stuff will be like Corvette stuff...making the same seals, officially licensed by GM, for vehicles that are at least 40 years old. :)

7. bnate

bnate 1/2 ton status

email sent

8. blazinzuk

last time I checked LMC and Chevy duty and Cheyanne truck parts were the only ones that made that particular peice. If sofseal started making them that would be great.

9. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I'll give you $2.00

10. dyeager535

I'll give you $3 lol.

Probably worth $100+ on Ebay, I see the later ones going for $70+, and you can probably still get those from GM.

But surprise surprise, the GM ones will fit, and will last another 20-30 years.

11. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

Dremu: I just replied to your PM. Sorry for the delay, I was waiting for the folks at Chevy Duty to get back to me.

Their reply: Tooling error from the manufacturer. They're refunding my money and sending a return label. What's most amusing about this is their tech folks ASSURED me before I ordered that their product was different than what LMC is selling. In fact, both are exactly the same piece, likely made in the same factory, in different packaging.

Wish I could find an affordable soft top, I'd just buy that ...
    d

12. dyeager535

Well, hopefully the "tooling error" is resolved and shortly ones made correctly are available.

As many returns as these companies must get on this junk, you'd think it to be cost effective to send someone over there with stock parts in hand, to compare. Or at least pay someone to mount samples on a truck before a whole shipload of improper parts show up. If I were LMC, Chevyduty, etc., I would certainly test fit this junk before selling it to people.

I had similar issues on the bedside seals from LMC, that stuff shouldn't have even got across the Pacific, let alone to the consumer.

13. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

I went to the chevy dealer for my 85 and the door rubber was 31 bucks from them....
    George

14. blazinzuk

My chevy dealer just laughs when I tell them the year of my truck. They are not very good parts people there, unless it is newer than about 92

15. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

dbozman I would suggest trying to get a pair of factory door weatherstripping. I bought the set off of dremu and they fit. I have not installed them but test fit them and they do not hang like yours. Mine is the 89 cut top with the 74 windshield frame. Something is :eek1: with your top.

16. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

Meh, tops off for summer anyway. Maybe I'll find a soft top before Nov. or Dec. No biggie. I don't think anything's weird with the hard top itself. I mean, what could possibly be wrong for the seals to fit like that? Everything else on the top fits correctly (bolts normally onto the rig, windows roll up/down correctly, etc.).
    d

17. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Yeah I don't think there is anything wrong with your top. You got the wrong length weatherstripping. Kind of weird how lmc or chevyduty could both get the wrong spec on length. You would think since this stuff has been reproduced now for a few years. They should give your money back and a free set. Only softop I know is this. I just don't want to put snaps on my body. Hope some other company will make a bed rail top again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bestop-Tigertop-Soft-top-73-75-Chevy-Blazer-Jimmy-BLACK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33652QQitemZ8009839992QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

18. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

Yeah. I don't mind putting snaps on the body. Problem is I don't want black and that's the only color they're produced in.