Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door weight?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lifethroughdeath, May 9, 2004.

1. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

Hey guys just a random question for anyone who removes there doors. How much do they weigh? Stock doors, non power. I'm asking only because the local junkyard has an option of all you can carry for $40. So i'm trying to judge whether or not i can carry both, i think i'll be fine, but was just wondering? Thanks

Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

50 pounds maybe /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Roll the windows down and you can carry both of them by holding the top part of the window frame. I'd say they're at least 70lbs with the glass in them. I know aftermarket doors weigh a lot less. I know after carrying my OE doors around I was relieved to be moving 80lb bags of Redi-Mix.

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

roll the windows down and stand them side by side about a foot a part, stand between themand lift with the upper part of the window frames sitting on your shoulders steadying them withe your hands. if your built like me (used to be pretty strong) should be able to carry them to the cash register. take breaks as often as needed. I got a dana 60 from a allyou can carry sale, using a rope tied to each end andcarrying it between my legs with the rope over my shoulders, took about 15 minutes to get it to the cash register, but it worked /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Shell alone -- no glass, no regulators, no panels -- is a bit shy of 40# for a full-frame door (i.e. 76+ Blazer).

Should it concern me that I have, within ten feet of my bathroom scale, a set of doors? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Anyway, with the glass & such I think 60+.

-- A

6. JSH

JSH Registered Member

I bought one at a swap meet recently-of course it was from the guy as far away from my truck as possible. It started out at about 60# and weighed about 200# by the time I got it loaded. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Rolling down the window and putting your shoulder throught the frame is the best way to carry it but take something for padding-it took me 2 weeks to get rid of the bruises on my shoulder.

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I got a dana 60 from a allyou can carry sale, using a rope tied to each end andcarrying it between my legs with the rope over my shoulders

[/ QUOTE ]
    Doesn't a D60 weigh in the neighborhood of 600 lbs? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You'd be surprised what kind of drive you have when you can get an axle for 95% off. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I carried a loaded 10 bolt front from the back of my truck to my barn yesterday. While it pales in comparison to a Dana 60, you'd be surprised what you can do when you've got to get it done.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a hard time dragging a front axle, much less lifting it. Carrying an axle around? Screw that.

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

2 doors are gonna be heavy. Think around 150+ lbs. I only weigh in at 150 myself but for $40 I am sure I could find the strength to hoof a D60 a few hundred yards.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I need doors for my 82 GMC--where is this wrecking yard anyway--S.E.mass??.The only problem is unless someone junked a truck they just put new doors on,you wont find any good ones in new england--anything rust free around here is rarer than hens teeth!.The yards in my area are crushing TONS of older K-5's and trucks older than 1990 due to the scrap prices hitting 60 bucks a ton(its down to 45 now for cars and trucks--I knew I shoulda got my leftover junk there sooner!).Looks like its going to be hard to find anything used around here now--and I've seen trucks better than all of mine go to the crusher every day here its really sad,to throw away a vehicle--usually because its missing only 1 peice--the TITLE!. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifI literally want to peuke when I see a decent cab(or whole vehicle)scrapped because of a stupid peice of paper.The yards here wont save anything for very long--they are running out of space big time,all the wanna keep now is late model yuppy S.U.V.s and jap crap cars.My doors only weighed about 30 lbs each,because about half of them dissolved into rusty flakes and fell off!. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

My complete, full frame, with power windows and locks, doors weighed in at 76 pounds each on my bathroom scale. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks for all the replies guys. The reason i ask is because i'm going to be making a set of 1/2 doors, so i'll probably toss the glass and any extra weight right at the yard. I'll post em up when i finish sometime in the summer. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Thanks again.

Oh and btw the yard is in freetown, ma. It's not anything great at all, and they don't really rotate in too many trucks, in fact the same ones have been there for i'd say at least 2 years now? They definately need some new blood.

Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the info--I think I know one of the guys who work at that yard--but I havent been there yet!.I usually get most of my stuff from Middleboro auto salvage,or one of the other Zion's wrecking yards.They have piles of transfer cases as big as school buses,unfortunatly out to the weather though.And they had lots of first and second generation gm trucks until the "crushathon"began when scrap prices shot up--they sill have quite a few,but they are usually stacked like cordwood,and pushed up against each other,not much good sheetmetal unless you catch the truck still on the ramptruck that brought it there.And thanks to the forkloader,you wont find any undamaged driveshafts around either.. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.I'm kinda keeping my eyes open for a K5 or another K20 to replace my 74,its getting way to rotted to bother repairing it anymore,so its either use it for parts ,or sell it! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif