Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door won't unlock.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990SilveradoK5, Apr 18, 2001.

1. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

Door won\'t unlock.

OK it has happened twice now. Go to open the passenger door and the mechanism will not unlock. Electrics try, even pulling up on the now broaken manual plastic thingy will not work.
    Is it just gummed up or am I lookin at replacing parts.

Yes it was me that posted a day or two ago about my tailgate not opening. Soon I will have to leave the windows down so I can climb in. ALLA Dukes of Hazard style.

Gone Large and Loving It.
    Keith

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Door won\'t unlock.

If you can't pull up on it, it's the mechanism. You can try spraying the door latch mechanism, and everything behind it, wih WD-40 to se if it helps. "Course WD-40 isn't the recommended lube because it will attract dirt, but if it works, it works.

If you can't fix it that way, then pull the door panel and attack from the inside. The lock solenoids are very weak, and aren't strong enough to prevent you from opening the lock, unless of course they are broken, which I have seen...they wouldn't open or close.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

3. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)

Mine did that for ever. Do yours still not unlock even pulling up by hand
    (pull thing just wont move)? If you just dont care about them working right mine were cured by moving the outside latch then unlocking the door. I lubed mine abck up with lithium grease and they work fine.

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5 [​IMG]

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Mine does this on the pass door every once in a while, Puch the black button on the outside handle as if you were going to open the door, that does it every time. then procede to unlock your door. Good luck.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bens87toy.coloradok5.com>http://www.bens87toy.coloradok5.com</A>

5. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

My '89 Jimmy does that with power locks too. My dad said it was because the outside door handle was worn out and needed to be replaced... he's seen alot of that problem at the Chevy dealer he works for.

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00

6. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

my brothers did that a couple of times he thought i broe it but never toughed the damn thing i just pulled and pushe buttons for 5 minuted and kazam it just opened

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Mine does this on the pass door every once in a while, Puch the black button on the outside handle as if you were going to open the door, that does it every time. then procede to unlock your door. Good luck.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

<hr></blockquote>

Have you tried that yet? Thats the same way on both of my doors and I have to push the button before I turn the key or it wont unlock!!! Give this a shot. I'm 99percent sure this will fix it.

Michael

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have this problem. Pushing the button works every time.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

9. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

I have this same problem, and then another, or an extension of this one. If you manually push the knob down, you must push the outside button to unlock. I can use the electric locks all day and it won't stick.
    My question is, Is replacing the external door handle the fix for this? I would like to fix this problem once and for all, or at least the next 20 years.

[​IMG]

10. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Mine does this on the drivers door, just push the button then it should unlock.

11. Razorback

Razorback Registered Member

I missed your post on the tailgate. How did you get it open? I can't seem to unlock mine from the outside. I can roll the window down from the front control and then use the handle, but the keyhole just doesn't do squat. I have tried WD40 and lithium grease in the key hole and I even tore the tailgate open and greased it up like a pig. I was going to remove the lock, but the window complicated matters...anyone been there?

12. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

ok heres some answeas on stickey door locks =-) liek the rest have said try opn it from teh out side then once you push the teh dorr latch on teh out side reach in side an try unlocking it 9shoudl work not sure why but alot of chevys do this on the passenger side) on teh tail gate most chevy balzer iv been around you ahve ot roll the window allteh way down the slam on side or the other or my be both then pull open does that make sence ??

AJ
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Mine won't open either from teh key, even though I too tore it down, replaced the lock cylinder, cleaned contacts, etc. Yesterday i forgot and tried it from outside and it moved about 1/16 of an inch. Gonna have to tear it down again, I assume something in the lock cylinder/switch isn't making good contact, especially if the inside switch works..it can't be grease/motor related, it HAS to be in the rear lock cylinder mechanism

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

14. 1990SilveradoK5

It only does it every couple weeks, as I do not use that door much. Next time I will try the outside button while keying in. I think I tried it last time but I am not sure.

Keith

15. 1990SilveradoK5

I thought I would never get the tail gate open but the other day It opened up from the inside. Have not had the chance to screw with the key hole yet. Right now I can not even get the key to slide in.

Keith

16. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

Boy, I must be the lucky one. All of mine work great, from the inside to the outside, with the key and button. Well I had better know on wood that it keeps working. lol

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl

17. 1990SilveradoK5

Did it again and the button thing worked.

Thanks, it will give me time till I have to work on it

Keith

18. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

On my 87 all I have too do is push in on the button. Everything works fine again. Not sure whats wrong.

19. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

I had that same problem with my lock today. I usually just fix it by pushing the black button and it works fine, but finally the black button trick didn't work. So it was time to remove the door panel and tackle it from the inside. I sprayed everything down with WD40 to clean it out really good, and finally after a while it cleaned out all the junk built up on everything, I still have to lube it up with some grease, but the WD40 did a good job cleaning. Now the lock works really good. I have had to take my door panels off about 6 or 7 times now in the past week, so I feel like I am an expert at doing it now.

DOOH!![​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://loudandproud.coloradok5.com>http://loudandproud.coloradok5.com</A>