Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doorless question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85 Jimmy, Jul 20, 2006.

1. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

for you guy's that go doorless my question is how do you take them off and put them on by yourself?

i already have the pins and everything b/c i've done it before, but it's a pain to do it by yourself and i was wondering if ya'll had any tricks?

2. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Before I just cut'em off for good I used to muscle it up and get 1 of the top bolts in and have a big jack to balance the corner so you can line it up just right. Thats my ghetto way of doin it.

4. 85 Jimmy

i've already done the quick release hinge pins... the question is how do you guys take them on and off by yourself, if you've never picked these doors up, they're pretty heavy.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like you might need to hit the weight-room. :wink1: I prop it up on my leg and get it lined up.

Now if you have electric windows, the door would be heavier because of the electric motor. Mines a manual crank and that makes a difference.

6. balterbuilt

balterbuilt 1/2 ton status

i always have someone help me, those htign are big heavy and akward. Wouldnt' want to screw teh door up by dropping it.

7. 85 Jimmy

i do need to hit the weight room :doah: , and i prop the corner of my doors on my leg to get it lined up also... and yes i do have power windows...

8. greyhoundjc

greyhoundjc 1/2 ton status

I have full electric doors and I've been toying with the idea of making some kind of dolly that could be used to help remove/install the doors as well be a place to store them while they are off. It would have a roll around base and some type of stand that would hold one of the doors on each side. Hopefully it would be able get them pretty close to the hinge holes for re-installing. It's on my truck project list along with about a hundred other things.

9. mlaux

mlaux 1/2 ton status Premium Member

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

That worked great for me, till I got 40's. I am only 5'6"

11. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

last time i put mine back on, i held the holes approximately aligned, then stuck undersized bolts (4 total) in the holes, to keep them lined up and take some weight. then, i went back and slid the pins in place of the bolts, realigning he holes as i went. only took a few minutes. way easier than putting the top back on by myself.

12. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

the few times i have had to do it myself, i grab my high-lift, jack it up so it holds it a little bit, get the top bolted back on and then the bottom. i've taken them off that way too. works pretty good. ;)

13. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i think the doors fall into the same category as the top. once you get them off, it's much easier to just leave them off for a while. i may be flamed for saying this, but jeeps are definitely better in that respect. removing and installing those doors is easier than changing a tire. that's not enough to make me a jeep fan, though. not even close