Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doorless..wires/jam options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Mar 22, 2007.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Those running doorless that plan on putting the doors back on for winter...what are you doing for the wires...I know about butt connectors like in the write up, just wanted other options....pics are good too

2. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Butt connectors will work but it sucks if you have power doors and locks. My truck has PL & PW and I have like 9 connectors on the drivers side. I would try and find a couple connectors that would do like 4 wires each if I was able to do it again. If you don't have PW & PL then butt connectors are fine but if you do then they suck. Trying to make sure you get all the right colors connected in the right spots sucks too since you have to try and get both hands in the door jamb and also be able to see what your doing.

Harley

4. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Yes, I wish I could update that article. I would recomend AGAINST Butt connectors and recommend weatherpack connectors instead.

These are what weatherpack connectors look like

[​IMG]

The LMC wireless connectors are an option too...but these still keep it within a reasonable budget.

5. chosen(1)

chosen(1) 1/2 ton status

I have bullet connectors now and it sucks. I have a few weatherpack connectors that are going in as soon as the doors come off.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I love the weatherpack stuff.. eventually I'll be using a bunch on my overall system down the road... hate the price of the crimping tool, but hey, i'm a tool junkie anway..

tho i hate to admit it, in this case the lmc wireless connector thingy, tho kinda cheesy in a ricer kinda way, is probably the best solution.. with the weatherpacks, you'd want to keep the rubber boot, making disassembly, etc more annoying, etc...

quickest, cheapest method would be bullets, not horrible, but not optimum either..

7. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

8. Chrisblazzer89

where do i get these?

9. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah I've known about the wireless connectors but then you would have to cut/drill an area for the pieces to mount in the door jam and in the door. I also thought about the weatherpack connectors but like mentioned above there are 9 wires on teh driver side because weahterpacks were my first thought but I don't think you can cram one or tow of those in door jam...that doesn't even take into account how many are on the passenger side, although I'm thinking less because there isn't a dual switch over there for the power door locks.

10. Chrisblazzer89

Well the passenger side only has 8 wires with power windows and doors.

11. ryoken

[​IMG]

they do make a round 20 pin jobbie...

73k5blazer should be along with a good link to that and where you can buy them at a decent price...

the crimper is like $75 to $100...

12. Chrisblazzer89

Holly crimper 75-100 bucks wow that just kill the deal for me

13. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

so you want to take the doors off, but making small holes to mount the hardware cleanly is too much effort.:doah:

14. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

How do I know how small or large the holes are gonna have to be in order to mount those...do you know what the backsides look like where the wires mount up cause if so enlighten us all....and besides I'm not a fan of drilling holes and cutting sheetmetal when I don't need to.

15. ryoken

just look at the pic...

it's pretty obvious by the connectors next to em...

looks like 2" long max, maybe 1/2" wide.. rounded at each end, drill two 1/2" holes, than 2 quick cuts to connect the holes with a cutoff wheel..

16. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah...I was able to tell that from the pics also and from searching on the internet about them..it was just the principle of the fact...dunno if I want to go with those or not seeing as how there are 9 wires on the driver side I would need one of the 5 wire and one of the 4 wire..that could get expensive AND that's just the driver side....still thinking about going to the junkyard to find some weatherpacks on a wreck....

17. ryoken

yeah, i have no idea on price didn't even look...

just ditch that power cr*p! :wink1:

I purposely went manual on all that on my 87... simple, maintenence free, etc... especially locks, they serve no purpose other than to screw ya... :haha:

18. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah...knock on wood only need to replace the motors in the doors and figured it would be a good time since the doors are gonna be off....I guess I can't complain too much....142,000 miles and almost 20yrs old

19. HammaK5

HammaK5 Registered Member

I dont know how often you plan on removing your doors. Thereis a factory connection in the A piller its a little hard to get to. Look behind the dash around the A/C duct there is a rubber gromet with the harness through it. Pull the gromet and harness to the inside of the truck and youll see the connection. Hope this helps. Trey

20. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah I've known of the connections for the wires but I am just concerned with being able to fish the wire back through the cab structure to pull it through...might take a second look at it and see how difficult and how many cuss words are required to fish back through there...I mean they did it in the factory like that....right?:wink1: