Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

doorless

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 91_blazer, Jul 13, 2004.

1. 91_blazer

91_blazer Newbie

i want to make my doors come off like a jeep cj,yj,tj how would i do that to my 91 S10 /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

unbolt them, other wise make all custom mounts.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Your tagline is correct: I don't understand Jeep things.

That said, do a search; you'll find lots of posts and pix -- some by me even -- showing how to redo the hinge pins on K5's to make them quick-release.

I'd hazard a guess that you could do something similar to your S-truck.

-- A

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I did it on my full sized. I used a 3/8ths rod in place of the pin. The upper one actually has to be put with the clip on top when the door is on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. chevy17

chevy17 Registered Member

hey i live in illinois and i was just wondering if there was a law against that? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why would there be? Jeeps do it all the time.

Just wear your seatbelt.

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Oregon law (or a rule since no one inforced it) is that jeeps have a lip in the door jamb (floor is lower) so nothing can roll out. The K series floors are flat s if the police want to be picky I'm sure they can make soemthing up, otherwise go for it!. I plan to take my doors off here but I built a 2.5" drop when I swapped the floors.

PS more often then not the cop will site you for not having the side mirrors then he would for not having the door.

8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oregon law (or a rule since no one inforced it) is that jeeps have a lip in the door jamb (floor is lower) so nothing can roll out. The K series floors are flat s if the police want to be picky I'm sure they can make soemthing up, otherwise go for it!. I plan to take my doors off here but I built a 2.5" drop when I swapped the floors.

PS more often then not the cop will site you for not having the side mirrors then he would for not having the door.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran mine without doors for 2 months and had no problems with the police. One thing of advice would be watch where you put your stuff, I lost a couple of thermoses /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I remember back in the 70's that there was a company that made a fiberglass door piece that was to make them more like a jeep with the floor board having a lip that went up by the seat.

10. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    I did it on my full sized. I used a 3/8ths rod in place of the pin. The upper one actually has to be put with the clip on top when the door is on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

drool over your blue k5 /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

I love that sexy stock front end..reminds me of theis one truck I once saw /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

real dumb question here but here goes:

How does one remove doors on a k5 with power windows and locks??

12. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

My K5 doesn't have power windows or locks, but the easiest way I can come up with is cut the wires and put a plug right there that is easily accesable. Just make sure you get all the right wires where they need to be and everything should be honky doory.

Kris

13. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

so do i remove the entire hinge assembly? or just pull the pin and see what happens? It looks like there is a little tack weld niplle thing on the top of the pin making the pin stay in btw the hinges.

14. stallion85

Remove the entire hinge assembly if you don't want them showing. The part that looks tack welded is the nut that holds the bolt coming in from the inside. If you look under the dash on the side where the bolt would meet up, you will see a rubber plug. Pop that out and stick a socket with an extension on it and unscrew /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Thamls man for the info. Any ideas on how to "unplu" the wiring harness for the power locks/windows without cutting them. I would like to put these back on someday..aka winter i guess.

16. stallion85

The pass side is easy, the plug can be accessed by removing the glove compartment door. Should be close to the wall on right. It is just a clip than can be unlatched w/ a flathead. The drivers side wire is a little harder same clip just not easily accessed. I had to dig my hand up through the wiring while tugging on the wire coming from the door to find which one. Then while your upside down sweating in the 110 degrees heat you will try to unlatch the clip with one hand /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have done it this way twice. After you have done it once it is easier the second time.( I just noticed that you have an S10. I am sure the wiring might be the same though, sorry /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

17. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

mine is a 85 k5..sorry for the mixup..so you saying this is how u can do it for a k5??

18. stallion85

Yes, mine is an 85 also, so it should be the same /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i called the PD here and they said its illegal, they will bust you for it here, and maybe all across the state ff you remove doors, they said its lessens factory integrity and safety of the cab

jeeps are a whole different ballgame though, they coem from factory alot with removeable doors

doors that bolt on like gm truck doors are techgnically non removeable
    it sux

those of you who live where laws are lax like this are lucky as hell, but may try it with pins and some other mods maybe, but im sure ill be busted pretty quick here, they are a PIA here,

20. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Georgia laws are a joke. unless you are blingin with a real loud stereo and weed smoke flyin out your ok.