Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

doors being a be-otch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Apr 28, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

My door is getting harder and harder to close. You gotta slam it to close it all the way if not it kinda does the loose half shut thing... any idea whats busted,worn, broken?

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Probably the hinges - replace the bushings and if that doesn't help, check for 1) loose striker bolts or disintegrated plastic bushing on the striker 2) cracks in the door skin by the hinges. If the doors themselves are tearing at the hinge, time for a new door. Repair generally doesn't work.

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

well, let me tell you...I changed the bushings on my driver door today. Pure hell for one person. Removed the door(heavy). Tried to remove pins with hinges on doors....no way. GM flattened the ends of the pins so the won't work themselves out! Removed hinges, chisseled and hammered until the pins were out. The so called GM bushings I had were too big, so I went to Pepboys and found the right size. Get back, its dark. Put bushings in, put pins in, carried door(heavy) and rested on my knee while I put a bolt in to hold up the door(heavy). Well, 10pm came around and I can't get it to line up right. I suppose the morning will bring a fresh mind and success. NOT AN EASY JOB THOUGH, kind of compare it to the heater core change I did a few weeks ago.

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I think the heater core is easier.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The plastic stiker bolt bushings make all the difference. If you'r strikers don't have the plastic bushings...go get em. My doors were pure evil to close until I added new plastic bushings. I found they made more of a difference than re-bushing the hinges. Both my doors close with little effort now...of course opening the passenger side is still kinda nasty due to some fender interference.../forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

For mounting doors by yourself, I set my hi-lift at the hieght of the bottom of the door, then carried the door over to the truck and set the one end of the door edge on the hi-lift so I only had to support one half or less of the weight while I got a bolt or two in. I make all the adjustmants without the striker bolt in place and keep tweaking it until the door fits the opening perfectly. Then the striker bolt is fairly easy. Thread it in and get the door close to it...you can easily see if it needs to go up or down. Then try and gently latch the door, if you close it hard and the striker is too far in it may be difficult to open again. Adjust the striker in or out to suit.

Rene