Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

doors foul the fenders........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Andrew, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Andrew

Andrew Newbie

The doors on my 79 K5 rub hard against the back edges of the front fenders when opening; is this common? If I lever the fenders forward against the door hinge, the whole front & bulkhead move. I assume that the cab mounting rubbers have settled? The doors also foul at their rear edge as well indicating the aperture has shrunk! Any thoughts appreciated.
    Regards, Andrew Newman. <font color="blue"> </font color>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Due to an accident I had last year the body on my truck is tweaked in a few places. Recently I set out to correct a few of the problem areas. One of those was the passenger side dorr and front fender. I ended up removing both the door and the fender and starting from scratch. I measured from a point on the firewall forward to the upper edge of the rad support and found that there was a 1/2" difference from the drivers side to the passenger side. I loosened the body mount under the rad support on the passenger side and with a 5" 'C' clamp I moved the rad support forward and retightened the body mount bolt. When I put my fender back on it lined up much better with the body, and I finally had a decent gap in front of the door. I then moved my door hinges a little forward. I scribed a mark around the hinge plates and moved them up about 1/8" and snugged the bolts again. My door would also 'foul' the fender...I found I needed to move the hinge side of the door inwards. This corrected the 'fouling' problem. My last adjustments were to get the door closing smoothly.

Check your body mounts and the underside in general for rotted areas that may be weak and allowing the body to settle.

Rene

3. Andrew

Andrew Newbie

Rene;many thanks for your thoughts. Are the fenders welded? or do you unbolt the whole lot including inner mudguards as well ?
    Thanx again
    Andrew /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The inner fenders (mudguards...) and the outer fender itself a 100% bolt on. There are provisions for shims at the cowl area to adjust exactly where the fender is located in relation to the door and the rest of the truck.

The inner fender is bolted in two places at the firewall, aproximately 6 location along the wheel opening, and another 4 spots by the rad support. It can be removed independantly of the outer fender. The outer fender has 2 large bolts near the hood hinge. One you'll find when you open the hood, the other becomes visible when you open the door. There is another one at the very bottom of the fender near the door edge. There are several smaller bolts that connect it to the rad support....just when you think you've found them all you'll see more. It's easiest to remove the headlight trim to find and acess a few of those.

Rene