Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doors gone, tubes in!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Aug 18, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

After building as set for a friend, then seeing everyone else here with thiers installed, I went and built myself a set. The contours were a snap, used the stock hinges so they swap on/off quickly and kept them tall in the front so the mirrors would bolt back on. I wanted to keep it inexpensive so I fab'd up a tube style locking handle. I'm suprised at how well it works considering its extremely simple design and since the locking stub sits inside the bar, it would take a good impact without damaging the mechanism. I mounted them flush with the outside of the body at first, then sunk them into the doors later. I found advantages to both ways but a flat door fits better sunken in. Anyway, it worked out to be a good prototype. I've got someone who wants a tube door with a nascar look to it (outer is flush to the door with the mid section widened out to the body and heavily re-enforced). On paper it looks great, so I may ditch these in favor of this new design.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Nice man. your truck is really lookin' crisp. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. blublaz57

blublaz57 1/2 ton status

nice, really look cool, send me a set seriously the best ive seen.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I was going to copy your "Jeep..." tag line and make a bumper sticker for my truck... that or a license plate frame. I get more Jeeps to come out on the trails with me using it, and they always put on a show too. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

dude. snap us a pic of that front bumper. daddy like /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status