Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doors Off???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by madups311, Jan 16, 2002.

1. madups311

madups311 Registered Member

Has anybody ever taken off there Doors along with their tops??? Any Pics??? Anyone ever considered this???

1979 Jimmy 4" skyjacker, add-a-leaf, 35" M/T's, Body Lift purchased.
    2001 Pathfinder LE Mile Marker Winch

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I used to drive my blazer around all the time without the doors, in fort worth and no one ever bothered me about it, if the jeep guys can do it why can't we?

Fort Worth Texas K5er[​IMG]It is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission[​IMG]

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Im taking mine off as soon as it gets a little warmer, like in 2-3 weeks, ive heard when you want to put them back on they are a b*@^ch

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

83 Chevy, 350, sm465, 14ff, (soon to be- dana 60, flatbed,and 39.5" TSL's)

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I was wheelin this weekend with DesertDueler, and he had his doors and top off. It was pretty sweet looking. It was great for access too. I was behind him at a stop light on the way home, and he and his passenger just jumped out, unlocked the hubs, and jumped back in. No opening doors, etc. You might be able to see a pic in TheRobZilla's post about the AZ K5 run. DD's truck is in the second pic, but is faced kinda toward the front of the pic. You might be able to see it though.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

look at the banner on the main page, you'll see Stephens green Jimmy with no top and no doors on it...

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i dont recomend it. we have a larger tub than a jeep. and our frames are not boxed. for the most of us anyway. and we weigh more. so therefore we get more flex. this causes problems. i am going to make a set of doors that are modified. i am going to get truck doors, and cut them like blazer doors(1973-75) and then cut the center out, remove the window, and add expanded sheet metal on the outside. along with bxing the inside and smoothing the inside with flat sheet around the hole. this will give me the "open" feeling but at the same time have some strength and security if i want to put the top on.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

7. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I believe on a 76-91 with the cab there would be more structural integrity than on your 74 with no top

Fort Worth Texas K5er[​IMG]It is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission[​IMG]

8. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I pull my doors all the time in the summer.I modified the pins so I can pull the doors off in about 2 minutes.As far a structual I have had no problems.Mine is a '73.The full convertible Blazers have a boxed body underneath the floor.This is for body strength.When I have the doors on wheeling I get in spots where I can't open the door.This is a pain in the A$$.Much nicer with the doors off.Jump in and jump out easily.Mine also has a 8 point cage so this help strengthen the body.The only problem with the doors off is you can't leave anything on the floor that might roll out.The first time I had the doors off my wife and kids and I were cruising town and stop and grabbed a soda,Well she put the bag on the floor and I went around a corner and there went the sodas.Also the doors are heavy so you lose some weight.With the doors and top off you will feel the difference.Like you have more power.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster

9. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

you got any pics of you'r modified pins? id like to see them if possible...

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

10. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

http://www.pirate4x4.com/ubb/uploads/BlazerSide.JPG

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

11. madups311

madups311 Registered Member

Looks nice I would like more info on the pins for the doors are they like quick release, pull out and go, Where might i find a something that I can use as this pin...The reason for all this is the weather in peak hours of the day have been pretty nice and I'd like to show off the truck

1979 Jimmy 4" skyjacker, add-a-leaf, 35" M/T's, Body Lift purchased.
    2001 Pathfinder LE Mile Marker Winch

12. hoserr

hoserr Registered Member

look on members rides, #28 Hoserr, i cut my doors out years ago. cops cain't say anything because the doors are still there along with mirrors. but you can hop in an out quickly, cool for rock crawling too. it took a weekend to do with a jig saw. i used the cut out metal to fill in the gap an make a step in the side.

uh, think it'll fit?

13. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I wouldn't mind checking out your modified pins either. I was looking into this last summer and remember that on my K5 (89'), the pin on the upper hinge is blocked a little by shape of the door. I know you'll need to grind the bottom part of all the pins, so you can knock em up and out easily, But on the upper hinge, the door kinda folds towards that so the pin can't move out further than a couple of inches. The pins on the lower hinge is a no brainer since the shape of the door is blocking it. Maybe I'm missing something here, since I actually haven't tried it yet, and it was also like 6 months ago when I last looked at it....
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

14. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I acutally ran my blazer with the doors off (85' K5) for a summer. I was going to replace the hinges and liked the look of my fullcage w/doorbars so I left them off. Randy Ellis (randyellisdesign.com) recommended against running without doors for long periods of time. He related that the body will cab will flex more without the doors and reinstalling the doors will be a huge hassle. I remedied this problem by finding two manual doors and gutting them. I then took them to randy and had him make half doors. The result is trick and I can see when I'm wheeling. Every winter I reinstall my full doors w/power accessories. I do it my myself and have very little problems adjusting the doors. Taking off the hinges orignally is a hard project. There are some hidden bolts under the dash that one must remove to remove the hinge. You could just remove the bolts form the door itself but if you're running without doors at all, it will look kinda wacky with your hinges sitting there. Thats my two cents. Just thought I'd share my experiences. Oh yeah, and nothing beats driving without doors or a top in good weather. Dust storms kind of suck (I just bust out my motocross goggles).
    Juanito Loco Prescott Valley, AZ

chrome sucks
    about chrome: "I didn't know it was possible for something to both suck and blow"

15. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Drill a small hole near the end of the top pin. Then install it from the bottom, and use a small Ø cotter pin through the hole to hold it in place.

You don't have to remove the hinged from the body if you do it this way (you just leave 1/2 of the hinge attatched to the body). Once you have this done, you don't have to realign the hinges every time, either.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

16. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Yae Hoss I knew I forgot something when we stopped that last time. Its cool being able to just jump out that way though :) If you guys are worried about structure than put a cage in it. I love not having doors you can see a whole lot more. As for a mirror I just used my old GTO mirror and attached it to the firewall where the door hinge use to be so its legal.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

17. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Ahhhhh, I gotcha!! Thanks. totally makes sense now. Installing it from the bottom was what I was thinking but never did think about puttin a cotter pin in there.

I'm thinkin' I'll have to cut the wires and put like "quick" disconnects on em too, so I can just disconnect them when removing doors and reconnect them when reinstalling.

Yeah, lining up hinges is a pain in the arse, especially with them heavy a$$ doors and even worse, when you're doing it alone in the cold!! (had to do it on my old K5).
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

18. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

All you have to do is reach under the dash and disconnect the wires. They have connections under there already. All you have to do is cut the rubber boot off and you will be all set.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

19. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I take my doors off every summer and have no problems putting them back on (other than they weigh a freaking ton!) I have made quick disconnects for the wiring (I have power windows, locks, speakers, etc), so that is easy. I haven't gotten around to making the quick release pins, I just unbolt the door from the hinges. Unless you are really looking at them, you really don't even notice the hinges - plus I use some black duct tape to keep them from rattling around, so that pretty much covers them! Haven't gotten stopped for having no mirrors yet, but am going to fab up something before this summer, maybe use a Jeep mirror and bolt it to one of the hinge bolts...we'll see. But the freedom it gives you along with no top is awesome! Jump right in and out and awesome trail viewing - it really let's you see everything! And the weight savings has got to be around 100 pounds for me - those suckers are heavy!

20. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Can we see a pic?

I have some half doors in the process....

Later <font color=green>KEN</font color=green>
    DANGIT it's not a bronco!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/kensk5>My Picts</a>