Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

doors...ya or na

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Jul 4, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i live in cali and was wondering what the laws are for having doors or not? i have been wanting to take my doors off for a while now but my mom is worried about me getting pulled over and getting a ticket. i have seen trucks that go to my school that are doorless but they are strickly off road vehicles and just drive no more than a block or two to get to school. what about on the freeway? i know you have to have rear view mirror, windshield, turn signals and brake lights, seatbelts... but do i have to have doors?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2005
  2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Mmm. The short answer is that the officer who pulls you over is right, regardless of what you say :haha:

I believe when I went looking, the California Vehicle Code says that cars (trucks, whatever) have to be equipped as they were from the factory ... Jeeps get away with doorlessness 'cuz some of them came with soft doors, etc.

You can also read the CVC and find that it says you can't modify the body of your vehicle at all, but modifying doesn't necessarily include things that unbolt. In short, it's all pretty vague.

You are required to have a left side mirror at absolute minimum. It's best to have a center one as well. I run all three even when using half-doors or doorless and have never been pulled over, even on highways, etc.

You can read the whole thing (You Might Be A Nerd If...) on

the DMV web page

Looks like Division 12 is your starting point.

-- A

3. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run no doors with just the mirrors and i have had no problems with the law even towing my trailer they don't look twice. I think the main thing is that you don't drive like a maniac and you should be fine.

4. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

CA state law is: You must have a mirrow on the left side, and a rear view in the middle. right side is optional.

but like stated above... dont drive like a maniac and you should be able to get away with most "fix it" laws