Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Jun 14, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to cut '76-'91 doors so they'll work on my '73. What about the rubber and weatherstripping and stuff...does that all fit on the new door OK?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

I have a 74 and bought new doors and cut them. here what i did on the old door for the upper cut remove the screw that holds the window chanel in place (the thing that seperates the little window from the big one). now take a piece of card board long enough to wrap al the way around the window and about 2in wide screw this on to the window frame with the screw you just removed, this will help hold the card borad in place now carefully wrap that card board around the window frame conforming to all the bends a little tape will all so help hold it. now that it is wrapped around use a pen and trace tha profile of the end of the window frame. remove the card board and cut along the line now you have a profile to transfer on to you new door. just install the template on to the new door by attaching it to the new door just like you did on the old one. Just a note remove weather striping befor you do anything. as for the lower cut it is simple just measure how much it rises from the window sill, it might only rise 1/8 to 1/4 at the most just be sure that your cut is very level . i used a sawsal with a very lite triger finger and a dremel with a cut off wheel on it fore the upper cut. good luck and take your time. and yes all of the weather stripping should be swapable.