Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dose the milatary still use blazers????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by darkshadow, Jul 3, 2004.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the generals daughter, just came on tv and in the inro the generals convoie (sp) there is a cucv! just wondering if there is still a few kicking around in there or did they just throw this in because they found it at auction and thought it would look ok????? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I am looking out my window as i type this and i can see two of them. Great Lakes Naval Base...

Mostly used by PWC repair types and for plowing snow.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My unit still has a few. We have 1008s and 1009s.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

cool so there still in use /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. Alaska K-5

Alaska K-5 Registered Member

Our shop has one also....only one on base that I'm aware of though, most of the vechicles we have are late 90's - early 00's Ford SD's and Chevy's.

6. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

My unit still has a m1031 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif. It is in severe need of a king pin rebuild (severe DW). Our mechanic wont fix it because he has never worked on anything but humvees. I have seen some new military blazer models 1992-2000 style, with the same brush guard as the 1009s /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and OD green paint (CARC). And the Navy has a few Crew Cab 2002 Chevy's with Duramax engines and painted OD green. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gifThose were cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    BTW most of the 1008/1009 that are still in military service are in national guard or reserve units.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

In the reserves the CUCV trucks are being relegated to DRMO as "uneconomically repairable".

I *believe* the 5/4 tons are the ones that are for sure never going to be fixed, but the Blazers still have some life in them, as long as the repairs aren't too expensive, they may be kept in service.

Strange process to get rid of vehicles, but by now all the CUCV's should be "substitutes" for the HMMWV in Reserve Units at least. Perhaps air force and others that don't need them for "tactical" applications will keep using them, but increasingly you are seeing them being used by non-uniformed government workers.

8. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Registered Member

The Gaurd and Reserves stilll have the most of them, but the bad thing is as thoose units are being sent to Iraq, they are taking them with them and not bringing them back. I saw a whole bunch of them while I was their. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

yep as far as ai saw when i was in,only resaerve units were using them on a regular basis.i was at ft irwin,ca.so we saw national guard and reserve pretty regualr for their 2 weeks of training.

10. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

my guard unit got rid of all but maybe 1 of them. i aquired a few parts off of one of them. wish i could have made one of them disappear.

11. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Short answer: yes!

I shot his one at DRMO on Ft. Sill a week or so ago when I was there.
    [​IMG]

But I found all this much more facsinating.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. prerunner1982

the 2nd pic is an 88 tank retriever.. and the last one is a Hemmit wrecker...here is my wrecker. [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i still see 4-5 running around on travis, mabye thell be in drmo soon /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The Navy still uses a few 1008/1009's at NAS Willow Grove for plowing snow, towing the recycling trailer, and stuff like that.

15. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Umm, yeah I know. . ./forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

That was my old unit there with the M88, and that was the unit next door rolling in from the field with the M270 MLRS and the M984A1 wrecker.

I used to pull those old 5 ton wreckers around all the time. The few I saw on post were either over in the training area because they needed a crane or sitting in motorpools never to see the field.

Can't tell for sure from the pictures you posted but that looks like either an old 8 series or a M9** series.
    Either way those things are no match for the 88's or the M984's.
    I spent two years running an original M984 for recovery in my unit, and more than half of the time on "post wide recovery", for silly officers that decided to get stuck on the weekend /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Heck I even pulled Lt Gen Dodson's HMMWV out of the mud one night after he decided to give his driver a break. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif
    (Hint: never show up in the middle of the night on a recovery and start laughing at the incident unless you know exactly who it is!) /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    And my last six months there was spent running our M88 after the other guy got injured.

Anywho here are a couple more shots of my unit and the rigs there:
    [​IMG]
    Note the unit insignia is my avatar.
    [​IMG]
    Funny thing is I painted and put up that Mech. of the quarter sign too, and got to park there 2 quarters of the 2 years I was stationed there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]
    That first bay was out welding/fabricating shop. No I didn't get to work there, but the next two bays were mine for the Headquarters Battalion. I was one of two mechanics for most of my time there, and in charge of our stocked parts dept.
    And the five ton poking out of the bay was the parts dept. "PLL" truck
    This was next door, I just got a kick out of the recovery gear I used to run all over that post.
    [​IMG]
    Here is an M88 with her pack removed over by DRMO:
    [​IMG]
    I wanted my wife to get a shot of the empty engine bay but she wouldn't get out of the van /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Ummm, why doesn't that 5 ton have any unit markings on the bumper?
    Or are those just pics you yanked off the net for an example? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i still see 4-5 running around on travis, mabye thell be in drmo soon /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm waiting for the few crew cab SRW K-30s I see running around at Charleston AFB to hit DRMO.... /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif (look its even Air Force blue!)

18. prerunner1982

skratch, i thought those pics looked familiar.. we go down to Ft. Sill on occasion. As far as the 5 ton, it is an 800 series, it does have unit markings, the pics are just dark you cant see them. No i didnt just pull those off the web. Those are both my trucks, the picture was taken at Camp Gruber. In fact, i think the wrecker has an injector pump problem, not sure yet. but if gives me something to work on for summer camp. i know the 5ton is no match for the 88 or the m984a1. but it is the largest thing my weekend warrior unit has..

19. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Ah, the paint job had me a tad confused since it doesn't look like a standard camo pattern and all with the weird lighting.

Nothing wrong with the weekend warriors, if'n my knees wer'nt so bad I would have been in the Guard when I got out and moved here.