Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dosn't move in drive

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FL84K5, Oct 22, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Dosn\'t move in drive

I've got an 84 Blazer with a 700R4. When I start it up in the morning when its cold and put it in reverse to back out of the driveway its fine. Once I back out and put it in Drive, or any other foward gear, it dosn't move. Pressing the gas just causes the engine to rev up. If I go from park to drive and back a few times it will finally work right. It only does it the first time I start it in the morning, the rest of the day it works fine, shifts through all the gears fine. Any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Re: Dosn\'t move in drive

How is the fluid level..?Sounds like a pump problem...

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't wanna step on toes, but the pump is a work/no work piece. (basically)

If the pump doesn't turn, you don't get any fluid pressure in the tranny, and since the pump is mechanically connected to the engine crankshaft, if engine is running, the pump is turning. Unless its broke. And if its broke, you aren't going forward or backward.

A lot of times it seems that older trannies (350 esp.) have a problem with reverse when cold. Probably caused by worn seals, or sticky valves in the valve body.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

First thing I would do here is check the oil level and condition.
    If it smells burnt, or the fluid level is low you found your problem. If not you could have a clogged filter, low flow. Change fluid and filter, cheap and most probably will give you a few more years on this tranny.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OH NO! Dont you EVEN start this! 3 weeks 2 days from Rebel Run and now this! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Start w/ a fluid and filter change and go from there.

One of the guys that works for dad had a Bronco that did the EXACT same thing. I dont recall what it was but he just lived w/ it and drove it that way for almost 2 yrs and sold it. Still running around DC like it was.

6. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

LOL, don't worry, this won't affect Rebel Run. It only does it when I start it for the first time in the morning, and it's fine the rest of the day. It's being checked out now. I am NOT pulling out of RR! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Pure Insanity

Your damn right your not! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif You signed in. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Yer goin! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[Johnny Carson] Holding envolope to head. "3.08 and 33's"
    Openning envolope and reading the question "what gears and tires do your have?"[/Johnny Carson]
    Fried clutch material from slipping clutches jamming both filter and valve body. When cold the fluid is too thick to get through the clogged filter. When you change the fluid there is about a 75% chance the tranny will eat it the rest of the way in the next couple weeks. The suspended particualtes in the fluid is all that's keeping it going right now.

9. Pure Insanity

Dont hold me to this Grimmy but I can almost swear he has 3.73s and you guessed it right 33s! LOL!

10. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

OOPs, forgot to update my profile. I have 3.73. Thought I had 3.08 but a quick look at the gears changed that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well 3.73's and 33's is not so bad.
    Well what it sounds like is the band that engages the forward drum is not recieving enough pressure to lock it down. Try a new filter then, maybe you will get lucky with it. Unfortunatly this is usualy a sign that the end is near. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Have you tried any of that transmission restore stuff?

At first I thought it was a hokey idea, but after seeing what silicone (the liquid) did to my dads hydraulic press, I'm a believer that for at least awhile, the restore stuff CAN work, depending on the problem.

You very well may have something sticking, but if you do a fluid change, you might want to try the restore stuff afterwards (if you really want to know if it works) or at the same time as the fluid change.

The only explanation I have for silicone fixing my dads hydraulic press (it was leaking like a sieve and of course wouldn't build pressure) is that the silicone softened and/or swelled the seals inside. That thing hasn't leaked in months since I did that, and has worked fine ever since.

If what they use in the tranny restore stuff is the same idea, and your problem IS because of a seal or seals (not the kind you club) it very well might work.

13. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif @ "and your problem IS because of a seal or seals (not the kind you club)"