Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DOT 5 brake fluid

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skyblazer, Aug 18, 2002.

1. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Anyone use DOT 5? I read somewhere that some street rodders used it because it worked well and it won't attack painted surfaces like regular brake fluid does. I can't get my old style master cyl. resevior to quit seeping at the lid and my newly painted fenders, frame etc are taking a punishment!

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Not to sound like a jerk, but I'd recommend solving the problem rather than the symptom... </font color>

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Actually you're referring to Silicone base brake fluid. (There is also dot 5 mineral based racing brake fluid). Silicone brake fluid has been used by the Army since the early eighties. If you want to use it you must purge the brake system with Alcohol (Methyl IIRC) as mineral and silicone turn to a jelly. Silicone tends to hold air bubles which can be a pain.... Oh ya, the stuff ain't cheap, but you don't have to replace it every other year. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

dot 5 has been around for several years. it doesn't hold water in the brakes system, and also stands up to the heat of racing. reduces brake fade from heated fluid. BUT it cannot ever be mixed with any other kind of fluid. system must be completly flushed clean.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Re: DOT 5 brake fluid *DELETED*

Post deleted by m j

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Wow! Great info! I had no clue about 70% of that stuff...

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

it is from an SCCA racer

8. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the excellent info. I won't be able to ignore my brake systems anymore. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Good read. thanks for posting. I knew some of the stuff but didn't know near that much. I feel I have learned something today.
    FYI Its proper to include the authors name and a link it if its on the web on stuff like this.

10. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

there were only a couple of sentenses in that hole post i understood.i flunked chemistry so thats probably a good reason for this. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

it is from a long since gone email list

12. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Wow mj, great info! That is the stuff I needed. I had read about silicone based DOT 5 fluids in a magizine once and could not find any more info. OUTSTANDING info on the various grades as well. I plan to stick with good old DOT 4. As for "fixing the problem, not the symtom" (Shaggy), I have tried two master cylinders and two covers with no success. It still seeps out of the top after bouncing the truck around for a few days. Anyone have better luck with the old cast style (1972 K5) brake reseviors? Any ideas? Thanks again for the info....good stuff!!!