Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Double Cardan U-joint??? or wha

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1985K20, Jan 30, 2005.

1. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

Ok, here's my story: my truck's a 1985 3/4 ton 4x4(auto), with a np 208 for the tc. Until this morning the 4WDriving was ok. What happened is that i pulled in my uncle's driveway wich is full of snow so i pulled on the stick to shoved her in 4HI, everything was ok, til i got back on the dry pavement(back in 2HI), i start hearing a not quite banging noise...more like rubbing noise coming from the front end.I put 2 new ball joints,2 new f. axles u-joints,grease her up plenty all the time.lots of fluid in the f. diff.

the only thing i noticed before was a shimmy starting around 40 mph with the front hubs locked, wich is cause by the little play between the u-joint and the frt. diff. yoke.

But that still dont explain that rubbing noise who started this morning.could this
    be the Double cardan u joint at the tc??? one of my friend told me something about a ball in there?!?! any ideas guys?:(

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it could be the ujoints in the CV are WAY loose and its rubbing on the crossmember.

3. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

I'll check that tommorow, thanks for your response