Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Double Cardigan driveshafts and 208's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, May 7, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Double Cardigan driveshafts and 208\'s

Are the CV or double cardigan driveshafts a good fix for small vibes?

In my DD, 350/700r4/208/10bolts I have my Tcase lowered, 4" rear springs zerorate, and I think its a 3-4degree shim. The pinion angle on the axle versus the drive shaft is good (couple degrees) but the driveshaft at the tcase is still making a pretty good drop. I get some vibes during hard acceleration so I'm guess that has a little to do with axle wrap. It doesn't do it all the time it seems to come and go. I haven't changed the ujoints recently but I dont have the extra cash to toss $10-15 here and there. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Double Cardigan driveshafts and 208\'s

but you have a couple hundred for a CV shaft? What about the output bushing on the 208? do like you would do on a U joint to check it, wiggle the output yoke around. See if it does anything. I had this problem too, vibe never went away and mine wasn't lifted. My pinion bearing was shot. Wobble like mad. Not saying thats your thing but definetally check for wear in all the rear driveline parts before dropping the dough on a CV shaft. You shouldn't need a CV shaft with only 4" of lift.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

oh and its double cardan joint /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif cardigan is some sweater or something.

4. jjlaughner

No I dont really have the money for a new shaft, but I dont want to do a bunch of it might be type fixes /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I done that a couple years ago and ended up replacing good parts and wasting alot of time. IF I do it I would just save up the $15 here, 20 there and buy a new driveline (esp since I'm going to be swapping in a 14bolt soon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Have you clearanced the CV to keep it from binding yet?

6. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you clearanced the CV to keep it from binding yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif no that's in the front, althought there is some vibe up there also /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am running 2" taper blocks (4*) and 2" addaleaves and I have no vibs. I am not running a top, tailgate, or rear seat either so I got some extra lift there. I do have a 14bff though which moved my pinion forward 1" or so.

I had vibs until (this may sound crazy) I raised my tcase back up to stock height.

Check the angles on the driveshaft and try and match them up. Make sure to account for the pinion trying to rise up under power.

Harley

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I had really bad vibes out of my 208 when I installed the echobit shackle flip in the rear. I put in a cv shaft and havent had the slightest problem since. The rear isnt even shimmed.
    -harrison

9. Hossbaby50

That is because the shackle flip basically points the pinion straight at the case which is ideal for a CV drivshaft.

P.S. I am running a stock rear driveshaft with a #447 conversion joint in it. Forgot to mention that in my post above.

Harley

10. jjlaughner

Hey guy here's what I think is going to happen when the 14bolt goes in I need order some of those 2" tapered blocks. Then the zerorates I have in there now I will need in the front of the project truck. Right now the silver truck is squating just a little. I have 4" springs up front that gave me 7" of lift over the stock springs, the rear 4" springs gave me 4" of lift, plus the zerorate. Once the 2" tapered block go in it will sit level so i guess I need to figure out what taper I need too /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sorry to mislead you, I thought you were talking about the rear. With 120" of WB I've fortunately never had rear shaft issues.

12. jjlaughner

I'm talking about putting one in the rear if it does ease the vibe woows.
    The front has a DS spacer and in 4wd does vibrate a little but I haven't clearenced it like you mentioned. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I had really bad vibes out of my 208 when I installed the echobit shackle flip in the rear. I put in a cv shaft and havent had the slightest problem since. The rear isnt even shimmed.
    -harrison

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the stories I want to hear /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Are you sure it is not binding due to angle? You can shim all you want, but if those yokes are hitting each other you're going to feel vibes. You might just have to clearance the yokes a tiny bit to keep it from binding. /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

Binding is about the quickest way to self destruct your driveshafts. No matter how big your u joints are, they can and will rapidly self destruct if you allow them to bind. That includes the front CV.

15. Hossbaby50

You do realize though the reason Harrison had vibs is totally different then yours. You don't have a shackle flip, you said you have 4" springs.

A shackle flip rotates the axle upward and causes the pinion to point at the transfer case. That is the ideal for a CV driveshaft. You do not have this ideal state. You would have to create it.

If you want to go spend alot of money on a CV driveshaft be my guest, but I am telling you you probably don't need to. You are still going to have to mess with the pinion angle and raising and lowering the tcase until you get it to point right just like without a CV shaft.

A CV shaft isn't a cure all. Plus why would you want to spend more money on an expensive driveshaft. If you break it you have to buy another.

I am running a setup similar to yours and I run stock driveshafts. They are alot cheaper and easier to find if you break one. I picked up my spare rear driveshaft for $40. Do that with a CV.

Harley

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree totally. I don't run a CV shaft and I wouldn't unless I absolutely had to.

17. jjlaughner

This is on my DD, I doubt I will break the driveshaft unless I do get around to my motor build next summer.

I do relize he has a shackle flip, but I'm also running shims, he's not. I still need to lift the truck int he rear, thus the 2" tapered blocks that I still need to find the correct degree for those. I have no doubt that the rear angle to the axle is ok, its the angle from the tcase that I think is the probley, the more expensive driveshaft will allow more of a drop at that point, a STOCK driveshaft doesn't. Besides I have a driveline guy that can trim a couple inches off my driveline and put in the double cardon section in a decent price. This truck sees alot of highway use and stop and go street driving.

18. jjlaughner

What degree shim is 3/8" at one end and comes to a point at the other?

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    This is on my DD, I doubt I will break the driveshaft unless I do get around to my motor build next summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is binding your engine has enough torque at idle to destroy the u joints. You don't have to have a special motor to break a driveshaft if it's binding.