Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Double front shocks vs. Single front shocks..Who has experience?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sax Art, Jan 15, 2001.

1. Sax Art

Sax Art Registered Member

My 1991 has double front shocks and I'm wondering if switching back to singles would improve the ride quality?

It rides HARD now!

It's got a stock suspension, 31X10.50 tires, and double RANCHO shocks on both front corners. This vehicle is used for 99% commuting, and 1% for towing a large boat. I can't imagine that taking the "extra" front shock off of each corner would hurt my towing, but I think it would certainly help the ride. Most of my driving is on mediocre county roads in Wisconsin. Those of you that have experience with this, what's your opinion? What should I do?

2. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I used to have a 86 Sliverado pick-up. It had the dual shock setup and I took it off when I put on a 6-inch lift. I also added larger tires and I didn't notice any ride changes after I went to the single shock setup.

74 Blazer
    Ramble On

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes going to one shock in the front will improve the way it rides and unless you are towing from the front lol it should not affect your towing

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm guessing that taking off one shock would probably help the ride. I firmly believe that one good shock per wheel is more than adequate 99.9% of the time. Shocks are designed only to dampen the movement of the spring, not keep them from moving like stiff dual shocks can do. I know some Blazers came stock with dual front shocks but aftermarkets like Ranchos are generally much stiffer than stock and overwhelm the springs. My advice would be to remove one shock from each front wheel and take it for a drive.

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I had factory duals on my '90 Sub, and after installing a 6" lift with accompanying dual shocks it rode like crap. After beaking off 3 lower shock mounts, I decided to go back to the way it should have been, with ONE SHOCK. Since I don't run Baja Mexico at 100 MPH in this thing, the single shock up front is MORE than adequate, and I get a MUCH NICER ride. Dual front shocks is strictly just for looks.

ken

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Stock dual shocks are valved to be used as a pair.....the single shock is designed to be used by it self....dual shocks are narrower to allow them to fit togather at the axle...replacing them with aftermarket most people flip them upside down to keep them from rubbing...... If you like the look of dual shocks alot of show trucks drill a small hole in the extra shock/shocks (leaving atleast one shock per tire alone) that way it isn't really doing anything except looking good.....

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

C'moe's right about the valving. On my RS9000s, I run the front shocks on 1 and the rear on 2, so the 2 in the front set on 1 equal 2 (2x1=2)

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

8. DALE

DALE Registered Member

does it matter which shock mount you use inner or outter. i have my rancho9000's mounted on the outter shockmount, just one shock no quads

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The main reason for dual shocks is to dissapate heat faster...shocks designed for multiple use are valved softer to help transfer the load to the other shocks in the multiple....heat causes the fluid in the shock to become less viscous (thinner), and thereby less effective...the reason for gas charged shocks is to minimize "foaming" caused by heat by putting the fluid under pressure....much like the radiator cap putting pressure on your cooling system which effectively raises the boiling point.......all this info was in an article in one of those mags a while back......I still like the look of multi shocks, I run singles......works for me.......just my .02......

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....

10. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Before putting on my lift I removed the extra shock on my 87. The ride was 100 times better.

11. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Before putting on my lift I removed the extra shocks on my 87. The ride was 100 times better.

12. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

When I bought my '89, it came with duel Rancho 5000's at each wheel and it rode about as soft as an empty dump truck. Since I liked the duel shock look in the front, I drilled a hole in one front shock per wheel to eliminate their effect and completely removed the extra rear shocks. This improved the ride 100%. My future plan is for Rancho 9000 adjustables. I expect them to improve the ride even more.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I run dual shocks on my 89 and like them a lot. But I do a lot of driving on dirt roads at fairly high speed. I need the extra dampening espically on the washboard roads I drive on. I tried taking one shock off but my K5 handled like crap and the suspension felt like mush so I put them back on. It did ride better going down the highway though. But if I want to cruise the highways in comfort I take my Bonniville.
    Also even with the stiffer dual shocks I get many compliments on my K5 on how good it rides and how well it handles in the dirt.
    I also made sure the shocks I bought were designed for the quad set up. The problem I found was people tried to sell me the single shock and tell me it was the same as the dual set up and that it was ok to run them in pairs on the stock mounts. But they are totally different. different part no. different valving size, tube size ,ect.
    If you are getting a very rough ride. Or breaking mounts. someone probabaly gave you the wrong shocks. You must have dual shocks designed for The Quad suspension or they will be way to stiff. The part no for the dual set from Rancho is RS1032 but that's for my 89 with solid front axle