Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Double Gasketed Headers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadBowTie, Jun 2, 2000.

1. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thought about it!
    We were talkin about this last month and someone had bad luck with that!
    I am going to use the THICK dead soft aluminum type gaskets from SUMMIT when I get the extra 40bucks for them. For now I have a headerleak that is not so bad but I can still hear it and I have the copper style......
    Good Luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

3. J.R.

J.R. Guest

instead of double gaskets,buy the very good pair of header gaskets and then buy the header bolt locking kit,i got mine from jegs,never had any prblems with leaks or blowing out a gasket.

BIGBLOCK MAN

4. 73/75 k5

73/75 k5 Registered Member

Me and my buddy's like to use two exhaust manifold gaskets put together for each header tube. I havn't had any problems with it and they are not that expensive. Just a thought.

Later
    sean

5. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

I use double gaskets on the headers in my vette and have never had a problem.

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I spoke with a guys last week that had headers on a 400SBC in a K5 and he used orange gasket goop and hasn't had a leak problem. he has been using them for about 8 months.

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett" "Built for function, not for beauty!"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

7. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

This is going to sound crazy but I read it in a magazine that said racers do it and it worked. You can use the cheap paper style gaskets but soak them in the bathtub (so they sit flat) overnight. Then when you install them, install them while they are wet right out of the bathtub. Then start your engine and the exhaust form the motor will make them stick real nice. I used to blow out paper gaskets weekly until I tried this (too cheap to buy the aluminum or copper). I tried this on my 396 Camaro that has a 4 speed and 390 gears that see's alot of use and haven't blown out a cheap paper gasket since I did this last year sometime. Of course make sure your mating surfaces are clean and flat. The bolts with the locks are real nice too

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro