Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DOUBLE or SINGLE wide top for my 71 blazer?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ak7, Mar 6, 2002.

1. ak7

ak7 Registered Member

I've got a 71 blazer in need of a new top. All that I have left from mine is the rear hatch which is in awful shape. I'm looking for a new top in the California area. Can anybody help?

Can I fit both a single and a double wide on my blazer?
    If so, which one is better?

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Adam,

The tops are "Single-Wall" and "Double-Wall".....and either one will fit on your Blazer. One way to tell which one it came with originally is to check the bedrails and see if it has threaded nuts installed along each side. If it does, then it was setup to use a Single-Wall top which bolts in from the top....if all you have is holes in the bedrails, you were originally fitted with the Double-Wall top, which is secured from underneath the bedrail.

The question of which is better is debatable....I personally wanted a Single-Wall top because I remove it & install it every time the seasons change and I didn't want to have to remove the side panels to get at the fasteners. If you leave the top in place all the time.....the double-wall top has a more "finished" look on the inside, and may be quieter on the road due to it's construction.....

Single Wall tops have 2 dome lights in them.....Double wall tops have NO dome lights.....that's another way to know for sure what you're looking at (besides the obvious bolts-down / bolts-up fastening method)

Hope that gets you started...../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. ak7

ak7 Registered Member

Greg72,

Thanks... That actually helps me out a whole bunch. Only a few months ago all I knew about first gen blazers was they had a sweet body style and I wanted one. Now that I got one, I'm having a great time fixing it up and learning about em.

4. ak7

ak7 Registered Member

The funny part about this whole thing.... needing a new top for my blazer. Well it wouldn't have been a problem if I would have checked to make sure it was bolted down when i trailered it home. hehehehhe... I lost it somewhere on the freeway between Eureka and Cloverdale.

5. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    oohh...no way!I cringe at the thought.That sucks!

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

There's a free top on the for sale board ... too bad it's in TX. I'll keep an eye open though.

7. Benrs86

Benrs86 Registered Member

ouch that sucks. i know nothing about 69-72 blazers so this is probably a dumb question. my dad told me that only some had the removable top option and i said no way but he guaranteed me some could not be removed. are you saying they all are removable single or double wall? thanks,Ben

8. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    69-75...full removable tops,all the way to the windshield.
    76-89 or 90...only the back half,from behind the front seats on back comes off.
    the rest are not removable.Some-one correct me if I'm off on the 2nd gen. years.
    The single or double walled tops only refer to the 1st generation trucks(69-72).Body style changed in 73 and so did the removable tops.

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Maybe it is the difference that you have to take off the side panels to get to the bolts to remove a double wall top and to remove a single wall all you do is take the bolts out from the top?

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Oh...welcome to CK5. Fill in your profile so we all know who you are.

11. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Found a top for you in Mtn View if you haven't found one already. Hopefully it's not spoken for already /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=forsale&amp;Number=376873&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1#Post377608> Top for sale </a>

12. ak7

ak7 Registered Member

rampage,

Thanks for looking out. I think its really cool how everybody on this message forum helps eachother out. I actually ended up finding a top in Stockton, CA not too long ago for $200. It was in great condition. Soon after that I bought two more blazers off ebay that both had a/c cabs and perfect single wall tops. Now it looks like i'm the guy with parts to sell... hehehe

ak7

13. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I thought only 69 -72 had full convertible tops? but i see you post and there was a guy in the paper a while back that had a 75 full convertible for sale for 6500.00 when my wife asked me i told her it had to be wrong. guess i was wrong

14. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

ak7, no prob ... glad you found a top to replace the one you 'accidentially' lost /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Yep, full convert. up through 75 ... unless someone hacked a half top Blazer and converted it into a full top. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif