Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Double Pedals!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Well, I got my big Birthday/Christmas present early this year. The double-pedals arrived yesterday! Spent yesterday evening unpacking them and setting them up. Here's the photos:

[​IMG]
    Both of them together.

[​IMG]
    Left-foot Pedal, driveshaft and U-joints (they're there, but were washed out of picture).

[​IMG]
    Main Pedal with the double-beaters! If you think it's strange I've got no muffling in my bass drum, it's because I want a big, boomin', thunderous sound.

Anyway, these are a set of Pulse-Pro Double Kicks. Somebody on here suggested I go with a set Iron Cobra pedals, but I didn't like the $300 discount price they were wanting on the mail-order website I ordered from, even though the parents were going to be paying for them. These Pulse-Pro's however, were discounted at just $70 where if we had bought this same set of pedals at a music store, they would have cost $250. A 70% discout is a steal!!!

Here's what they replaced. Talk about stepping-up!:
    [​IMG]

2. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I don't know anything about drumming so this may be a stupid question,,

Does the right pedal move both beaters? I always thought there was only one pedal that moved both.

I thought thats how groups like Metallica and Megadeth get that double beat sound,,2 base drums with double beaters,,,or do you take the left foot off of the high hat (?) and play it like that?

anyway,, I think drummers are under rated in the music biz,,and don't get the respect they deserve,,My fav's,,,,Bono ( of course) Rush, Lars, Megadeth,Green Day,Offspring and many more,,

Wish I had taken up drums,,,Keep rockin dude,

BTW,,, It's great to see you taking up after Led Zep,,so much lame music out there today,,,Good to see someone follow the masters of rock,,

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

You take your foot off the hi-hat. Each pedal moves one beater, so every time you hear one bass drum beat during that fast double bass.....that's one full pedal movement. There are some that move both, but they are not popular at all.

Cool stuff, guy! You getting used to them?

4. Inu-Hanyou1776

Starting to some. Every time I've gotten on them since attaching the pedals, I've barely even touched my sticks, it's been all kick practice. I've been working on getting my left-foot used to actually doing some work. Even before I got them, it was rare for me to do any hi-hat chicking. Maybe getting my left-foot used to doing stuff with the double-bass work will spill over into me integrating more hi-hat chicks and the like into my normal playing.

As you can see in the photos too, I wasn't able to set the left pedal up such that both it and the hi-hat pedal were exactly side-by-side. That's the only thing that aggravates me a little about them, but I'll probably get used to it. I've actually managed, since those pics were taken, to get the hi-hat pedal a tad closer so I don't have to move my foot as diagonally, but I still have to move it in a diagonal direction when switching between the two.

5. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

The greatest invention since sliced bread. I love em saves my back as I only have to lug one 16X26 Bass Drum around. Glad to hear of the upgrade. Now its time to practice. :D

6. Inu-Hanyou1776

A 16x26 bass? Now I'm full of envy, mine's only an 18x22. :bow:

7. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

yeah I have 2 ludwig Classic Clear Maple 16X26 circa 1988

A Bonham 14X26 Ludwig 1970

Chrome O' wood 16X24 ludwig - 1980

DW 18X22 - 1992

those are a few of the sizes from my various sets also have 14X20's 14X22's

In one of my old posts there is a picture of the Maple Ludwigs.

8. Inu-Hanyou1776

I know what you're talking about. If Bonzo was alive today and he listened to the stuff that's out there now, he'd probably immediately say 'WTF? What the hell is happening with musicians nowadays? Pagey, Plant, Jonesy, we need to start our own rock music academy so we can teach these young'uns how to really play!! This stuff here is downright awful!!' Yeah, he'd be mad that the skill, playing and musicality of most of today's drummers isn't what it used to be.

I mean, Bonzo was able to do stuff with just a single Ludwig Speed King pedal and kick drum that nowadays probably most drummers think is only possible with double pedals, sad as it is. You want an example, listen to his fills during the first verse and the end of 'Good Times Bad Times'. He's doing kick drum triplets there, like I said with only a single pedal. I've gotten myself now to where I can do a lot of the same stuff with a single pedal too, and I'm proud of it.

I mostly got the double-pedals just so I'd be able to do the ultra-fast double-bass rolls you hear sometimes in speed and death metal. But the kind of metal me and my brother like to play is the old-school, 80's Metallica and Megadeth style of metal. I'm wanting to try and integrate the Bonzo-style sound and rhythms though into metal playing because even though a lot of metal is very fast, listening to it it sounds to me like the drummers could do more than what they often do, and on the sound side of it, too many drummers today take the muffling thing way too far. Up to the point actually that it sounds like they're playing on cardboard boxes.

9. Inu-Hanyou1776

You know what? I've just made a huge discovery, and I don't know why I didn't notice this sooner.

I just dug out my really only Big Band/Swing CD, a various artists compilation one, and after listening to it and then going back and listening to a few Zeppelin tracks that feature some of Bonzo's best drumming, a realization hit me that a lot of what Bonzo's playing on the Zeppelin tracks sounds similar to what the Swing drummers were doing, only modified a little to fit Rock better (tons more kick drum mostly), and of course a whole lot louder. Think I need to buy some more Swing and Jazz CD's now and listen to them.

This has just told me that John Bonham showed what would have happened if you'd taken the drummer from one of those big bands of the big band era, put him in a rock band and told him to just slightly adapt what he normally plays while cranking up the playing volume through the roof.

10. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

Many people drummers included take Ginger Baker for granted. John Bonham himself was influenced by Ginger. Sam Woodard drummer for Duke Ellington, Louis Bellson both big band drummers used double bass in the 40-50's and onward. John Bonham ocassionally used double bass. I don't know if you have ever seen the picture with the maple double bass kit he (Bonham) had. Yeah music is in a sad state.

11. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I used to play on a drumline, couldn't ever get the coordination to play a set. But the drums we had were the old maple marching drums. Still remember the back pains of carrying the #4 bass through long parades, it was either a 36 or a 38... I forget the size :(

12. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

As much as I love Zep and as incredible of a drummer I think Bonzo was, i've gotta say that drumming has come a LONG way since then. C'mon man! If bonzo saw Neil Pert, Dennis Chambers, Danny Carey or Mike Portney, I think he would be in awe. The influence Bonzo and Led Zeppelin had on music in general is unbelievable, but the creativity, speed and technicality of todays drummers blows my mind. Nice pedal setup ya got there. When you think you've gotten real good with them, try keeping up with the song 46 and 2 from Tool. Starts easy, gets hard.

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I agree, even the screaming stuff that most people say sounds like crap never actually hear how much talent it really does take to play it...Arch Enemy is a perfect example, Mudvayne has a great drummer, Unearth as well. I'd like to see Bonzo play some Arch Enemy....really.

Not to dog him, though. He brought a lot to music, changing the drumming style leading to the way it is now, I believe.