Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Double Shackel!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Corey 78K5, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I'v been toying with this ideal I saw it a few years ago on a Samari. The guy put a shackel at both ends of the rear springs and added a 3 linc setup to keep it in place. I already have a shackel flip (did my own) and a set of stock shackels would work fine for the front of the springs and a set linc's hooked to the bottom of the axel running up towords the middel of the frame and one in the shape of an A running from the top of the pinion twords the middel of the frame as well should keep it all in place.
    Now just think of the compresion and drop you could get out of your springs. I no you would have to realine the pinon angle and it would give a couple more inches of lift (I was wanting more anyway's) but it would be cheap and easy to to do as compared to a coil spring or coil over setup. What do you think.

Corey 78K5
    350CI, TH350, 203, Dana 44,12 Bolt, 4"lift, Shackel Flip, Sawsall and 35" BFG's

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

ive seen some other trucks running like this, i dont even think you would need a 3 link, just traction type bars to locate the axle front to back.

Go for it, i think it'd be neat to see the outcome on a chevy, and you're as good a guinea pig as any...[​IMG][​IMG]

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Thanks Dude I always wanted to be one of those!

Corey 78K5
    350CI, TH350, 203, Dana 44,12 Bolt, 4"lift, Shackel Flip, Sawsall and 35" BFG's

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Don't quote me but I don't think it would work, due to the fact that neither end of the spring is fixed the angle of the pinion could change, If you go with a 3 Link setup or a modified ladder bar type setup why stay with leafs? If you go to that trouble to keep the axle located then you might as well change over to Coils and go all out....but I could be misunderstanding your post.

Like em big and topless
    You call THAT...a 4x4....LMAO?

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the links would stop the pinion change
    that suspension style will have tons of bind in it
    the control arms will want to travel in an arc
    the shackles will allow that but the links will still have to push and pull on the shackles a bunch.
    no idea if it is a significant force
    usually when you go to the trouble of building a link suspension the slight added time to throw a set of coil buckets seems minimal.

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Corey,

The "shackle at both ends" design works well when used with a 4 link... But doing a linked suspension is quite a project in itself! And, if you're willing to do the work to get there, you might as well make a "1/4 elliptical" setup and get even more travel....

I make a rear suspension that gives 24 to 28" of travel... Check out my pics if your interested.

Marv