Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

double shocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bluerhino, Dec 16, 2002.

1. bluerhino

bluerhino Newbie

has any one ever installed front double shocks on their truck, whats the best kind, do i really need them. I have a '84 chevy 1/2 ton and am about to replace the front shocks (kind of broke/ripped one off) and wanted to know if any one had any info on it. thanks

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It depends. If you have 38"+ tire and run high speed stuff like dunes or desert running, then you can benefit from the duals. If you have 36" or smaller tires then basically all they'll do is make the thing ride like a brick on a roller skate. That is, unless you do the high speed stuff, then you can get some benefit. If you do go with the duals then make sure you get shocks valved for a dual application or there is not benefit other than a really stiff ride. </font color>

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I dont have it But from what I heard it make you ride rough but I still want them tuff country make a bracket for duals(most companys make for triple shocks) and I would run a shock like a RX9000 that you can adjust ohh yea if you dont like the way the tuff country looks(how could you not) they did put them on some trucks stock you could get that bracket and it would look just like yours is now but with another shock

4. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

my 88 k5 has the dual shock in the front and it just rides stiff as hell but i think it helps in handaling, makes the ride much stiffer!

5. bluerhino

bluerhino Newbie

thanks for all the info. i m running 33s, hopefully 35s soon, so it sounds like i really dont need the dual shocks. i ll just replace the single shocks that are on there and be happy with what i got

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i got the stock dual shocks on my truck... and just by bouncing up and down on the front bumper you can tell how stiff it is..it hardly bounces at all!

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The factory offered dual shocks on Blazers and Subs. The idea behind dual shocks is that each shock is supposed to be valved softer so that the ride is not affected (as much). Shocks heat up as they are cycled, and if they are cycled a lot (high speed rough terrain cruising), the oil viscosity goes so low that they will start to fade and not work any more. The idea behind dual shocks is to spread the heat load out between two shocks instead of one and therefore avoid fade. A lot of the trucks with the factory dual shocks have had the shocks replaced with two shocks that were designed for single shock duty, and that makes for a stiff ride.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have the stock dual set up on my 89 and like it a lot. I tried just one shock but didn't like the ride/handling so I went back to duals. I do a lot of fairly high speed driving on long dirt desert roads.
    As Tim said in the above post. Many times the dual shocks are replaced with shocks designed for single set ups and they are way too stiff. Use shocks designed for dual set ups and the ride is just fine.
    I use Gaberial LT shocks on mine. I really like the way they ride but they only make then for lifts up to 4"

9. bluerhino

bluerhino Newbie

i was thinking that having dual shocks might soften up the ride but it sounds like just the opposite is true. i ll probable just get a better single shock and the fact that the old shocks that are on my truck are just about to meet their maker. thanks again for the help. oh and what is a good size for a shock to go on my truck? i have a '84 chevy 1/2 ton with 3 1/2 in. of lift and 33 in. mud tires. before i had 31 in. all terrians, but when i switched tire sizes i didn't switch shocks and i really have no clue on what size they are.