Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Double Shocks

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rusty68, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

I must have the worst luck when it comes to suspension set-ups. Anyway, I put my new skyjacker 4 inch lift springs on and RS 9000 shocks last week. I will say the ride was 100 times better than the tuff country soft ride whatevers that I had installed 2 months before and ruined my first wheeling trip. Anyways, the first set of 9000's worked ok for most of the day at the dunes, but were blown out by evening along with a bent spring. So I bought and installed the skyjackers and new shocks. Went to the dunes this weekend and had a blast. But the new shocks are finished and leaking at the seals already. Am I over heating my shocks? After about 5 minuts of running hard they feel like they are not even there and I am boucing off the bump stops. I have almost 1 1/2 inches of shock travel left when I am on the bump stops so they are not bottoming out, and about the same at full extension. I am thinking about getting some single 7100 Bilstiens that have the external oil bypass, but I dont want to smoke these either as they are spendy. So what do I do for a dual shock setup? I have the f250 shock tower modification and really need the added shock travel it gives, but cant see a way to run duals off it. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Go with the Bilstien's. They are a mono-tube shock and cool alot better than a twin-tube shock.

3. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

Before you do anything, make sure that you did not install the shocks upside down! This may sound stupid, but most shocks need to be mounted with the reservoir (thick end) down, with the plunger shaft side up. If you mount them upside down (reservoir side up), you will get a few cycles of damping out of them while the oil all syphons past the plunger. Once all the oil is past the plunger, it is sitting in there above the oil, and there is absolutely no damping. I know this because I mounted my shocks upside down once because they looked better that way, and I was bouncing down the trail uncontrollably. I turned the shocks over, and all the damping came back with one or two cycles of the plunger. Its a lot cheaper to check the orientation of the shocks first before you buy another set. Hope that helps.

4. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

Yep I have them installed correctly, but that was a good heads up. The problem is the shocks are just flat over heating. When I tried to make a valving adjustment I grabbed ahold of the shock and it was hot enough to burn my hand. Not like my skin stuck to it and smoked or anything, but you wouldnt want to keep your hand on it. I think I am going to bone up for some resivore shocks. So I am going to start doing some home work on picking the right valving for my current spring rate.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

do u have ur exhaust pointing right at them or something? Ive gone wheelin all day before and never had my shocks get even close to hot...

you might try some DT8000s. Thats what I run, and they cost about half what a rs9000 costs too...

j