Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

double sided foam tape removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fireinthehole, Aug 16, 2003.

My Sub has those black mouldings that run down the side of it. It is held on by that double sided foam tape. For those of you that have removed it, how did you do it? I have before, but it is a real pain. I am looking for an easier way.Any suggestions?

1. 85army tank

85army tank 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifif you go to a parts store there is a wheel you put in a drill it is made of solid rubber it works good for that i use one at work all the time /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Have you tried carb cleaner?? It will take of the wax though... also you can try a decal remover spray.. found it at a paint store...on last idea.. use a heat gun, it works really well.. you can get one at a hobby shop, they are used to shrink film on rc airplanes.. a hair dryer wont get hot enough

3. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Have you tried carb cleaner?? It will take of the wax though... also you can try a decal remover spray.. found it at a paint store...on last idea.. use a heat gun, it works really well.. you can get one at a hobby shop, they are used to shrink film on rc airplanes.. a hair dryer wont get hot enough

4. Foy

Foy Registered Member

Decal remover

Decal remover is acetone. It comes as "decal remover" in spray cans and in squeeze bottles with an ice-scraper looking fitting on it. Some acetone, shop rags, and some elbow grease and you'll get it cleaned up in no time.

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

i've used a heat gun before, it will remove most of it ...then if you can get some racing fuel that will remove the sticky stuff left....

6. I am using the decal remover, it works good for the glue, but its the foam thats a pain. I have never heard of that rubber wheel, I will have to look for that.

Thanks for the replies.

7. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

3M adhesive remover, I use it every day good stuff. Acetone dries to fast, and doesn't work all that great. Use the acetone to clean up the reside after you use the 3M.

8. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

Get this good sh!t called GOOF OFF. I use it to get off all the stickers on anything I want the stickers removed from and it works great... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Goof Off is good stuff, but it will remove the paint. (As well as most of the above mentioned solvents /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif)

If you just want to get the adhesive stuff off without removing the wax, clearcoat, and paint - use Goo Gone. It's a citrus based adhesive dissolver (not solvent based) and it works really well!! Get it at the local hardware store.

10. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I second Goo Gone /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Good [I love Jeeps]

11. Kevin108

Kevin108 Registered Member

A heat gun and your library card should do the trick.