Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Double Trans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have to bring this back. I searched and didn't find a hell of alot of hard info on anything. Is it really possible to mate 2 transmissions? I have been looking into finding as many different gear reduction possibilities for the rocks as possbile and so far the one that offers the most amount of actual crawl ratio choices is the double trans. I was thinking of possibly:

SM420/SM465/NP205 or something similar. 465/465/205, etc.

My question is about mating the 2 transmissions together. How exactly would you go about this? I imagine a custom machined adapter and sleeve would be in order correct. Along with drilling and tapping the face of the second transmission. You would only need 1 clutch though correct? Thanks

Harley

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I would think only one clutch, I know the one top truck competitor this year had dual transmissions, I think SM465s. It was that green dodge with the center frame pivot. I have the article around I will see what i can see.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

foudn it real quick. His setup is a TH400 feeding into an SM465 then on to a rockwell tcase. I'm guessing your intent is maximum forward gear selection? I'd think a double would just be a better choice, not as much of a close gear choice but it works for so many people and not so much custom work.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

This was discussed in depth a while back, too bad you couldn't find the thread... One clutch is all you need, you'd need the adaptor and also need to deal with the fact that the output shaft is generally quite a bit bigger than the input shaft, and both are male. It would be easier to deal with if both were the same size and spline count, and even eaiser if you could get them to be male/female and mate up. There is one guy on CK5 that is working on this right now, and MJ was working on it too IIRC.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know MJ was asking Watson if he could make a new output shaft I think it was.