Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

double wall top

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 69K5, Apr 19, 2002.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I took my top offf for the first time yesterday. i love it I wasted a whole tank of gas just riding around. just a tip. DO NOt go down a dead end dirt road fast. Anyway this is the first time my top has been off. the original owner never took it off. I have to fix with bondo or sheetmetal where my dripguards mounted because its no longer there. The rear bolts gave me trouble i had to use a screwdriver to keep pressure on them to get them out. will drilling new holes and putting in new bigger bolts hurt? can i do that just into the fiberglass and be safe? and lastly what did the gaskets from the top to bedside look like? there was nothing left of mine and i cant really see in the LMC catalog. I was just looking for cheaper alternatives.

thanks

nathan

2. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Hey 69! Congrats on the topless move! I too, took mine off my '72 for the 1st time in it's history (been in the family since new). It is an indescribable high.

As far as drilling the holes, it may be touchy. I think there are threaded "nuts" of some sort molded into the top that you'd want to be careful not to allow them to break loose and spin. Also, you wouldn't want to take away too much of the meat otherwise they could strip out. My suggestion is get a soft top! That's what I wanna do!!!!!!!!!!

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Nathan,

Cool!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I remember the first time I pulled the top off mine.....OK to be honest I only had the truck for about a month before I did it......but I went crusing up the street, and once I got up to maybe 40MPH, all the dirt and crud that was on the floor started blowing up into my face and into my eyes!!!!

Lesson learned: Always vaccuum out the truck REAL good before driving it around "convertible style"...!!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

It IS an amazing feeling though, huh? 360-degree visibility and it doesn't even feel like your in a truck anymore.....more like an E-ticket carnival ride.

4. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Ditto, Greg! I put some cans of leaves in the waayyy back to bring to the city dump site, I felt like Dorothy and toto with them all blowing to the FRONT and then whirling all around!

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

The nuts broke free on some I can here them spinning. Im weary of doing it because im not sure how sturdy it will be without the nuts. i might cut a small hole put a nut in and cement it or bodo it in place and then repair the hole.

thanks for the advice

nathan

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I know exactly what you mean about the vacuuming part. it took me a minute and a lot of luck to not wreck.

nathan

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

TTT

any ideas on how to fix this guys? its supposed to rain tommorow. my tops has these whit brackets that look like they are supposed to bolt to the rear bed post. they dont have any holes. would this hold it down to keep it from leaking?

thanks

nathan

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you do a search you might be able to find some posts from some guys who replaced those captured nuts in the top. It is something I would never want to attempt.

For the rear bracket you are suposed to have 2 "riv-nuts" per side for the thing to bolt into. There is no way to get at them from the back side to put a nut back there.

9. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I have replace these nuts. All of them on both sides. I cut a triangle in the top on the inside where the first and last nut on each side was. On the bottom of the top where it meets the bed rails you drill out the old rivets all along the bottom of the top. the nuts are welded to a thin piece of metal that extends front to back. you may have to enlarge one of the triangles to get the metal band out. slide the metal band out which has the nuts connected. Mark the bands left and right and take them to a welding shop and have new bands and nuts welded on with holes drilled for the nuts. It cost me $30.00 for the metal work. Put new bands in and rivet down. you need to have the holes drilled for rivets too and also mark the bands front and back so they fit back in. then patch the fiberglass and your done. Takes some time but well worth the effort.

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

thanks. I had thought about cutting alittle hole and replacing the nut but i didnt know how they were held together, and i couldnt come up with a way to get them to hold still i figured epoxy would break.

thanks again

nathan

11. JBOY

JBOY Registered Member

and don't forget....there are plenty more leaves 'n gunk waiting in the vents too!

12. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I found those this winter. i wasnt sure if i had a squirell or a bird nest