Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doubler 208 ????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by White Knight, Mar 18, 2002.

1. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Toying with a Idea, see link to pix http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo05/aaw
    doubling a 208, besides the lengthing and shortening of the drive lines, possibly a carrier at the front drive shaft, additional adapter, shifter linkage for additional t-case and cross member to support second t-case, taking chain out of first t-case (no need to turn front output flange.) and anyone see any other problems with this Idea. The t-cases are mated in the picture output to Input, and what crawl ratio would I expect to have?? I'm really considering this improvement this summer, hence the request for info????? Has anyone out there attempted this?, I know about the 203/205 doubler, but have never heard of a 208/208.

White Knight (orginal and Texan)

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

There is a post right now in the ORD Forum about using a doubler with a NP241, and in Stephen's reply he said you can use a 208 in a doubler combo. I don't know about a 208/208 doubler though.

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

hey white knight if you find out some info let me know...im definitely interested in this improvement...
    i wonder could you mate a chevy 208 as the front t-case and a dodge 208 as the back so you could have a fixed yoke in the rear?

might be something to think about...

Later

4. White Knight

I posted on Ord thing also, and If I find anything out I'll post here.

White Knight

5. BADASSBLAZE

BADASSBLAZE Registered Member

It looks to me that it will be too long. I'd rather go with a tried and true method, the ORD 203/205 Doubler.

6. White Knight

Yeah I'm aware of the length issues, front shaft will have to lengthen and have a carrier, positioned somewhere close to the leading t-case, rear drive will shorten approx. 21", have to go to a high angle drive line with cv's. But in all of this I convinced of having a outrageous ratio with the 208's having a orginal 2:61. Grimmy any input?

White Knight (orginal and Texan)

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Im no expert, but wouldn't that be a lot of torque for those transfer cases? Definately would be a far cry from bullet proof. But maybe Im wrong about this.

8. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

"I did it my way..." rotated the 208 out of the way of the front shaft and then a divorced 205 behind it. The combination IS long but with a long bed I think I can get away with it. The rear shaft will be about 35" long. And a carrier bolted to the raised crossmember of the 208 (4 u-joints and 2 slipyokes in the front shaft...). Maybe need a CV out back but if I angle down the 205 I do not .

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

*mischevious grin *

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you keep your foot out of it when the front case is in low range, it sounds like a cool idea. But if you like to stomp on the happy pedal a lot, then it's probably a great way to make lots of itsy-bitsy 208 bits. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif