Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doubler choices: NWF or ORD?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, May 18, 2006.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I am ready to purchase a Doubler kit for my SM465-NP203-NP205 combo. I am very familiar with ORD's website, and have purchased quality products from them in the past. I recognize that there Doubler kit is probably a great product too.

I have just recently run across NorthWestFab products, and they have a Doubler kit as well. I see it's a little cheaper, and has the ability to be clocked in different locations by repositioning bolts (it can be clocked while installed in vehicle).

So is it a better product for less money? I'm interested in hearing comments from anyone who has actually used a NWF Doubler, and how they think it compares ot ORD's stuff. Thanks!

Mike

2. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

There is also ATOR and Jeds Machine.

*edit* meant to say Jeds and no wagoneer.

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have the old WMS (now ATOR) and it was cheaper that the others with excellent quality. I think they have their doubler on sale now for like $569 or something like that.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I chose NWF, very happy with the quality and the service.

Rene

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

one other option... Jed's Machine. They make doublers also... and I think they start in the just-under-$500 price point. Not sure if thats just for a certain version of their doubler or sans hardware or what. Link...

http://www.jedsmachining.com/index.html

NWF has the best service in the industry and you can change your clocking positions...

In short, you have lots of options. I have a WMS doubler I got for $499 during last years sale. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go NWF... just cause they have such great service.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The design is superior if your are going to build-> wheel-> build-> wheel. The clockability allows you to go with a normal front shaft till you can save up for a high angle shaft. Also if you are half ton and find a deal on a ford D60 then you just need one cheaper plate and a Ford 205 to change it out.

I have an ORD and it does its job, but I would hands down get a NWF if I had it to do all over again (I got the ORD a month before NWF released theirs).

7. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I also have the NWF kit. I am very happy with it. I love the fact that i can change and change and it will still work. Also if you want to make adjustments you can. I also thought about the jeds doubler but went with the NWF because of the aluminum adaptors and the adjust ability. It is more but its well worth it. The ORD kit seems to also be very popular but I have not first hand experince with there kit.

Good luck making your choice,

8. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

ORD here---awesome fit and finish, not a single problem, they have always treated me awesome.

ORD can clock also---i have my 205 clocked 5 degrees (if i remember correctly.)

if i had to do it again i would go w/ ORD

on a side note i have heard nothing but good things about NWF

When i purchased the ORD kit I was also considering the WMS/ATOR but decided against it because a) it was steel (heavy) and 2)you had to weld it. (i couldn't do it at the time)---im not saying it was a bad product, it just wasnt for me at the time.

9. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I think both ORD and NWF offer a fantastic product. I have the NWF doubler because I won it last year at the blazer bash. Both companies offer excellent customer support and I think you would be happy with either one.

I am using NWF for my build though. A big part of it was due to their location, up here in Canada, and another big part was their knowledge and their drive to innovate and improve upon every idea set before them.

~Max

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

There was a point in time in which the end-user welded up their own WMS doubler? when was that? Mine came welded. As far as weight goes... its down low and anyone running a 203/205, HD shafts and 1-ton axles isn't going to feel that extra 20 pounds anyway.

j

11. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

my vote is for a nwf or ator doubler. i have my NWF doubler sitting next to me and its pure artwork. all the pieces fit perfect and tight. the clockability is awesome. only thing i didnt like was they use grade 5 hardware instead of grade 8 hardware ill probably change that out for peace of mind.

there service is top notch, my pto cover came tapped crooked and they express mailed me one. ups screwed up and it never showed up and they sent me another one without question.
    im very happy with there work