Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doubler Crossmember......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 81jimmyslt, Mar 18, 2006.

1. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

I put this together a little while ago for my doubler. Its holding up my WMS unit w/ my 205 clocked up 2". Its made out of 1 3/4" tubing, 3/16" angle, and 1/4" plate. I reused a portion of the stock bushing and some poly's. I initially was going for the flattest belly as possible, but this is up pretty high.

I know a lot of people have been demanding these from vendors and such. The problem you haven't seen many is because they vary between each setup. It all depend which transfer cases, clock or not, tranny, shaft length, brand of doubler, and of cours year of vehicle. There are so many variables to make a kit that will easily fit many applications.

If people are interested I was thinking about a pre bent kit that could be cut, welded, and holes drilled depending on application.

Also I am started a build up thread on my recent progress, but I wanted to let people know here as well. I am MOVING back to South Lake Tahoe in the middle of May :D Rubicon here I come, oh and you will see me in Hollister with goodies.

SO if any one wants bumpers, doors, or sliders before then let me know ASAP.

I will stop building stuff temporarily in May until the middle to end of June, all depending on how things work out. Nothing to worry about I just thought I would let people know.

Enjoy,

Jesse

doubler crossmember side 2.jpg

doubler crossmember back .jpg

doubler crossmember side 1.jpg

doubler crossmember back 2 .jpg

2. ShitownK5er

ShitownK5er 1/2 ton status

hey its looks good i need one for my setup so if you are going to make some let me know

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Looks good... 2 questions.

1) you have horizontal (the frame-to-frame tube) members going side-to-side below the 205 adapter and behind the 205.... why not one where the 203 adapter is? Maybe I'm missing something, but if I only wanted 2, I'd prolly put them where the adapters bolted on.

2) could the rear-most tube crossmember have been higher up? Seems like there is quite a ways between the way it is now and the rear output. If it was higher up, the skid could be closer to a V shape than a _/ shape.

just a couple of ideas. I'm gonna be fabbing my own doubler x-member up soon so I'm always trying to bounce ideas off people who have actually done it. ;)

j

4. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Sweet crossmember. Awesome news about moving closer to the con. I will be going on the con this summer with a local club from the douglas area.. maybe i'll see ya out there..

5. 81jimmyslt

k5 crawler 50: I'll contact you when I move back, should be plenty of wheelin and wrenchin in the mountains......I CAN'T WAIT!

JekBrown: I am kinda confused on what you are asking on the first question. The small round plate connects to both adapters, the 203 to 350 and the doubler adapter. Then I ran a crossbar right after the doubler piece. You could stop right there but why not add another crossbar and attach a skid plate to protect that 205.

Are you thinking of running two parrellel bars right under the adapters?

And yes the second bar could have been placed higher up at a \__/ rather than a (__) but I need some clearance. Clearance for my exaust and for a HAD driveline brake.

Also the way the plates are angled it will slide easily.

Am I missing something Jek?

American Freak86: PM me with some details of your setup and we will go from there.

6. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I would definitely add another set of tubes under the 203 for support. I see that ORD did the same to Steve Foxes 4x4 Iron crossmember.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I was thinking the front-most one would be just in front of the 203-adapter and the other ones pretty much where they are. It can be done a lot of ways, I guess I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind the decision to cantilever the front part of the skid plating. Doing so seems to put the crossmember parts quite a ways from the 203 adapter. Believe me, I'm not giving ya crap... just asking questions and trying to figure out why you designed it the way you did.

I've got a HAD brake also, good point...

nope. :)

j

8. 81jimmyslt

Yunit:

I did see that post in the ORD forum and that picture of the 4x4 iron crossmember they modded. I like the changes they made.

For now I just need to drive my truck again. It's been months. I fired it up today with exaust cut off at the tranny, damn that thing sounds mean.

When I get the exaust, HAD driveline and E-brake setup, and put together the traction setup, I will know how much room I have left to beef up the crossmember as needed.

Anyone know how they have the bushings setup on the 4x4 Iron crossmember?

Jesse

9. 81jimmyslt

Jek:

I forgot to mention I am using the rear bar for my shackle end of my traction bar setup.